Part 29

Casey

So I guess we could all agree lunch with Natalie's family was a fucking nightmare.

We sat in that park for hours, neither of us talking. Natalie cried into my shoulder for a while, and I tried to comfort her. But, to be honest, I didn't really know what to do. I couldn't find the right words, all I would think of came off too much like 'I fucking hate your mom because she's a bitch to you for no reason'. All I could do was hold her close, wipe her away her tears, but it doesn't feel like enough, nothing ever will.

I'm still glad we went to Chicago though. Meeting her grandparents was great. I mean, I think they liked me. And, it was nice to see where Natalie had grown up. To have seen the house she'd lived in, the family members who had probably helped her in one way or another over the years.

Natalie's currently asleep, slumped against my arm peacefully. We left Chicago this morning after staying at her grandparents house for another day, their company needed after the disastrous lunch. They dropped us off at the airport, and we both promised to visit them soon. Natalie's been asleep for most of the flight, probably due to her lack of rest at night. She's been quiet too. Reserved, talking in a softer voice. It scares me.

I'm looking down at her soft cheek while I'm thinking all of this, and I'm so caught up in my thoughts I don't realize her eyes have fluttered open.

"Stop staring." she whispers, her voice sounding a combination of soft and far-away.

"I can't help it. You're so beautiful when you sleep."

"Isn't that the kind of thing kidnappers say to their victims?" she says, shifting herself into a more comfortable position.

"Quite possibly."

She laughs softly, just as a beep takes over the intercom system.

"Please fasten your seatbelts as we prepare for landing."

I check mines secured, before leaning across to fasten Natalie's. Hers is hanging loose, after she unclipped it so she could sleep more comfortably. She scoffs as I tighten it, bringing our joined hands to rest in her lap.

"You don't have to do everything for me, you know?" she says just as I reach forward to push her falling glasses back up her nose. She rolls her eyes, resting her head back against my shoulder.

"Yes I do." I whisper into her hair as the plane begins to descend.

...

"Oh Natalie, I've missed you so much these past few days!" I'm once again left to deal with the heavy bags as my mom walks Natalie into the house. Rich smells flow from the inviting kitchen, where multiple members of my family sit chatting. I lay our bags at the door, following Natalie and my mom into the kitchen.

"Everyone, this is Natalie, Casey's girlfriend!" My mom says, grabbing everyone's attention. I watch as Natalie's cheeks grow redder, before she lowers her head at the sudden attention. I sidle up beside her, wrapping an arm around the side of her waist. I smile down at her, and I can't help but notice her face growing brighter, happier.

My hand falls into hers, and I tug it lightly as we begin to walk around the room, greeting the few family members lounging around the room.

We walk around the dining room table towards my Grandma June, my only remaining grandparent. I've already warned Natalie of her, as she can be... a little odd sometimes.

"Hello Grandma, it's good to see you again." I start, leaning down to press a quick kiss to her cheek. She wraps an arm around my neck, bringing me into a quick, tight hug before she lets me go. I straighten up, looking back down at Natalie as I do so.