Part 32

Casey

Faraway murmurs fill my ears as my eyes slowly flutter open. Bright lights blind me, my eyes shutting just as fast as they opened. I swallow, my mouth feeling as dry as a desert on a hot summers day. The murmuring continues, although this time they seems closer than they were before. I'm so confused, I don't know where I am or what happened to me.

The last thing I remember is standing on the pavement, watching as the car hurdled towards me. I remember someone standing in my arms, before I had to push them out of some kind of danger.

Natalie.

Suddenly, she's the only thing on my mind. What happened to her? Is she okay? Where is she?

"Natalie." the murmurs stop as I croak out her name, my throat seeming closed off. I try opening my eyes again, the same bright light practically blinding me. I power through it until my eyes adjust, seeing I'm surrounded by a white room with green curtains thrown to the side, leaving me exposed. I roll my head across my pillow to the other side of the room, nearly having a heart attack as I see 2 people huddled on another hospital bed. They're both looking at me with wide eyes, their lips spread into smiles.

"Hello roomie, it's nice to meet you. I'm Darren, and this is my boyfriend Luca. Do you want us to call for the nurse?" one of the men says, gesturing to the small remote beside his bed.

"Natalie." I whisper again, unable to get any other words out. All I want to know is that she's safe and okay. I'll never be able to forgive myself if she isn't.

"Okay, I'll get the nurse. Luca, call Nat and Mandy." Darren continues, fiddling around with the remote as Luca dives in his pockets, presumably for his phone. I lean my head back against the pillow, letting out a deep breath. I mean, if he can call her, that's a good sign, right?

I don't have much time to think it over though, as I turn my head to see Luca approaching me, his phone in his hands. He smiles before moving it so it's positioned in front of my face.

"Casey! Oh my god... BARNEY! HE'S AWAKE!" Natalie yells into the phone, her eyes filling with tears.

"Natalie. Are you okay?" I croak once again, her face seeming to light up at the sound of voice.

"Yes, I'm okay. You pushed me out of the way so I wouldn't get hurt, there's barely a scratch on me. Don't worry, I'll be there in like, 5 minutes if I speed." she blurts out, heavier tears beginning to stream down her face.

"I love you." My voice crackles as I try and speak louder.

"I love you so much, I'll be there soon." she says, just as a nurse sporting a kind smile bustles into the room.

"Hello Casey, I'm nurse Rachael and welcome to New York Presbyterian Hospital. We're glad to have you back."

Natalie

I race through the familiar pathway of the hospital, one I'm sure I've burned a hole through with my footsteps in the past few days. My heart takes over my head as I edge closer to him, completely disregarding the stares I'm sure I'm getting right now. My bag smacks into my leg as I round the last corner, room 7 coming into view.

My elbow nudges at the door until it swings open, his eyes flicking open at the sound. Emotion overtakes me as I barge into the room, flinging my arms around his neck as I reach him. I bury my head in the crook of his neck, feeling his arms shakily wrap around my waist. I press my lips into his neck before lifting my body from his. I stare into his eyes, sniffling a tear as he crookedly smiles. His hand runs up my body, stopping at my eye to casually wipe away my bubbling tears.