Chapter 7

The next time Lyra conversed with Ace was through paper, not having the energy after her healing session with Whitebeard.

She did her best to tell the story of his father and mother, everything she could remember from them. The good and the bad, as everyone is like that.

Ace was taking it pretty well, and Lyra was sure that Whitebeard knew what they were doing because sometimes Ace would cut her off in stories as if he's heard them before.

See the stories you've heard and the truth are very different. Your view of him has been shaped by what you've heard growing up. As mine is shaped by my experiences with him. I'm not saying let this change your view, but maybe it'll help you forgive and release the guilt in your heart. They wanted you to live more than anything, it was the one wish they had.

She laid down the pen and looked at him with a soft look. It was always hard to hear the other side of the coin, to learn the truth.

"Thank you. For sharing with me, I guess he's not who I thought he was. Not the devil I made him out to be, but..."

A paw landed on his hand, pushing a note towards him. Bear no guilt on yourself for living. For being alive. There is no greater gift than life. You have no weight in this world to bear, your life is yours to live as you want. Let nothing hold you back. There is no shadow of your father hiding Portgas D. Ace.

She yelped as he picked her up to clutch to his chest, a soft sob escaping him. Lyra melted into his warm hold, happy to provide comfort to him as he finally let the weight holding him down go.

Once he subsided, Lyra decided to take a chance on him. Ace. I have a request for you.

He wiped his eyes and tilted his head in confusion, but didn't stop her. Taking a breath, she wrote it out hopeful that he wouldn't lash out on her.

There is someone I would like to keep an eye on. His name is Marshall D. Teach. Can you point him out to me?

"Why?"

Lyra just scowled and angrily wrote on the new paper to his astonishment. He hurt someone I call family. I fear he may hurt one of you, also my family. I protect my family. I just want to calm my nerves.

A frown pulled on his lips as his brows furrowed. "Who did he hurt? He's my brother. He wouldn't hurt any of us." But she could see the concern and worry on his face.

He hurt Shanks, gave him his scars. Not everyone is as they say they are.

Even Lyra is not who she says she is, something she feels guilty over. But if they all knew the truth, she couldn't handle the shame and disappointment from them.

"He did? Shanks?!" Lyra was scooped up and carried out of his room. "Should we tell someone else?" He frowned as she shook her head, not yet. She needs proof of deceit and aim for harm. Lyra wouldn't mess up again, this time she won't fail her crew. Her family.

The duo settled on the rail, looking as normal as they could. Ace with his back to the ocean and Lyra curled around his neck. He was whispering lowly to her who Teach was, her eyes narrowed at the man.

A shiver went down her spine as her hackles slowly raised, claws digging into his shoulders. His aura was like his. Icky and dark, getting under her skin.

She will watch him closely. Very very closely.