Chapter 16

Lyra knew her happiness was coming to an end. Just knew it wouldn't last. All her dirty secrets came out way too quickly for her liking.

Standing with her arms crossed, a frown painted on her lips, she stood across from a beautiful older woman.

The crew stood around them but gave them plenty of space, feeling the energy coming from the duo. The other woman was ancient and very powerful, more so than Lyra was.

"Andromeda," Lyra's tone held a warning as her gaze turned sharp. "To what do I owe the pleasure of your company today?" Those who knew her the best knew she had an undertone of anger.

The woman just sighed and held her hands up, "Lyra. It's time." The redhead snarled at her in response. "Do not give me that tone young lady,"

The unknown woman smacked Lyra upside the head with her own frown. "The time has come and you need to accept that Lyra." Brown eyes burned with hatred and the promise of pain. "You can't run forever."

"I can damn well try." Green eyes flashed as she hissed at the older woman. "I have been running to protect everyone and it's worked for the last 800 years."

Andromeda sighed as she gave Lyra a sad look, immediately setting the other on edge. "Lyra, he's been hunting us. Everyone."

Horror filled Lyra, her green eyes widened in shock and fear. She-she spent years running to keep them safe. He's been hunting them. "Why? How long?" Her hands shook as she ran them through her hair.

The brunette woman put her arms around her shoulders. "It's not your fault Lyra. We are all very grateful for what you did. It worked for a long time but he gave up on you and went for us. We were vulnerable, easy targets still healing." Rough hands rubbed her back in light circles, trying to calm the young woman down.

"How many? How many more died Andy?"

"Too many Lyra. The youngest now is seven years old. There's five old timers left. You, me, Astraea, Arty and Ashe." Lyra shut her eyes and clutched to the front of Andromeda's cloak. "It's not your fault Lyra."

Lyra scowled and pushed away from her. "IT WAS!" Her shout echoed on the deck. The silence was heavy. "I...I ran to keep everyone safe. I should have protected everyone, been stronger. I could have –"

Andromeda grabbed the shaking woman's shoulders and held her steady. "NO!" Her brown eyes glowed with anger. "Never think so lowly of yourself ever again. You fought bravely, you are the sole reason we all didn't die that day."

"I SHOULD HAVE DIED!"

The deck fell eerily silent at her proclamation, several shocked looks going around. Lyra ignored them all to stare at her mentor with tears in her eyes.

"So many deaths, I should have died or killed him. I couldn't do it. I was too weak to do it." Tears fell from her green eyes, pain filling her features. "Andy, I couldn't do it. I caused this whole war, all of the deaths."

Andromeda held the woman as she sobbed, "I'm so sorry Lyra. We hid so much from you, tried to protect you from his bad side. It's us to blame my dear, not you." She rubbed the shaking woman's back, a frown on her face. "It was never your fault. We should have acted sooner but we were too hopeful and blind."

"I swore to never fight again, I can't." Big green eyes peered up at her. "I can't do it again, I can't face him." Not again, it would cause her too much pain. Too much fear.

"I'm sorry Lyra. But we've already begun to gather everyone. The young ones are ready to fight, and fight we will. We are ready to take our home back, we've waited long enough."

Lyra frowned again and pulled away. "I will not fight. I cannot fight –"

Andromeda smacked her upside the head yet again. "You can fight, Lord Sectra did not teach you the art of the polearm for nothing. You cannot let fear run your life any longer. You fought toe to toe with him before, you must do it again." Another smack to the head of the now scowling woman.

"Lyra Aranani. We need the Guardian of The Forest and Animals for this war. We need everyone we can."

Lyra just scowled and turned away with a pout. "You want me to go back to where it happened. To that place." Her scowl deepened as she recalled it. "I haven't forgotten nor have I forgiven myself for my failures."

Andromeda sighed, stepping back to let the other brood. "You did not fail. Many lives were lost but many were saved that day thanks to you. No one blames you, everyone praises you." It was true, the new guardians know about the heroic efforts of the Guardian Lyra. No one would ever forget that day.

"I will go." Lyra held up a hand to silence the other. "But not as a fighter. I will be a healer."

Sighing, her mentor just decided her going was better than nothing. "Fine, fine. I'll take that. The ones too young to fight have been sent somewhere safe. Everyone else will reconvene at Blessings Island." A look was sent to the redhead. "Your polearm still rests upon that hill you know."

Lyra scowled again in response. Her damn polearm. She missed it so much. Damn brother. Damn war. Damn it all. She just wanted peace. To travel with her new family here, to live life freely and with adventure. To finally have peace.

Andromeda gasped and turned towards Whitebeard with a bashful look. "Oh dear. I am very sorry I forgot to introduce myself. How rude. I am Andromeda, Guardian of Medicine and Herbs." She bowed a little to him. "No need for any introductions. I know of you and your crew. Thank you for taking care of my little student here."

Gurararara. "She is family. It's a pleasure to meet another guardian. If there is anything you need for this fight, we are willing to help." Shock filled them all at Lyra's venomous rejection.

"I will not have you putting your life on the line for us. No. I won't accept it, this fight will be way beyond your abilities." She will not let them help, it wouldn't be fair. "I will come back afterwards. You lot stay here, safe and sound."

Ace snorted from his place, disagreement clear on his face. "We're pirates, we don't do as we're told." Lyra shot him a chilly glare which sent shivers down their spines.

"This is not about being a pirate Ace. This is about the difference between guardians and mortals." She reminded them all that she wasn't mortal. She was an immortal being, that this war would be beyond them. "Fighting with us, it would be signing your own death wish."

"At least let us be there. We can be a base of some sorts. We can take care of the injured." Thatch ticked reasons off on his fingers, "I don't want to send you by yourself so at least let us be off the shore."

Andromeda nodded, "That is a good idea. We don't have anything big enough for the injuries. It would be smart to have a home base to rest and take breaks." Her finger tapped her chin. "I approve."

Lyra shot her a dirty look for siding with them, even as they started obeying her orders and accepted an eternal log pose for Blessings Island.

This will be a long trip for sure. She just had to avoid everyone now, simple!