Chapter 14

Another two weeks roll around, making Lyra a worried and tense mess. She was easily startled, and had to stay with Whitebeard or else she'd freak on someone.

Most days she didn't leave Marco's room, and Thatch didn't have the heart to tease her anymore. They were all nervous and were just as worried as she was.

They were only three days from the island, not wanting to get too close but just close enough they'd catch the ship on its way out.

"Lyra if you don't eat I am force feeding you."

Lyra scowled up at the chef with a spoon in his hand and an angry expression on his face. The door was blocked by a few other chefs, and Thatch was attempting to get her to eat.

A paw pushed the plate away, "I'm not hungry. I had a bit to eat already." A bit was an understatement, she had a few bites at most. "I would like to nap."

The plate was pushed closer to her. "No, you are eating more than a bite of food. It is my job to make sure everyone on this ship is fed, that includes you." His scowl deepened, "I will not have you starving of worry, not on my watch."

His stare intensified as she grumbled but ate a bit. Greens kept flickering up to check his face, but his stance was firm. Lyra couldn't get out of this no matter what, Thatch was adamant that she eat.

"They're fine. Marco and Ace would worry more if they found out you weren't eating," His face softened as he watched her eat, "You can't be hungry when they come back. I'll have enough trouble feeding Ace as it is."

Damn seas, he had a point. Lyra begrudgingly ate her plate and half the bowl of milk he laid out. Sitting on her hinds, she gave him a look. "Ace will clean the ship out since we haven't restocked in a bit."

Thatch swore as all the chefs moaned in despair. The idea of a hungry Ace was what no one wanted to deal with. Izo entered the gallery with a grin, "While they prepare for the bottomless pit, let's wash Marco's sheets."

Ah, good idea. He wouldn't want to sleep in her smell. They're dirty and he would want clean sheets, he liked a clean bed.

"That's a good idea. A clean bed, he'd like that." Lyra hopped off the counter to trail after Izo as she headed to collect the sheets. "Should we clean his room too? I try my best, but I can't get everything."

Lyra did her best to help strip the bed and pillows, she was only a cat after all. Small paws can only do so much, but damn was she good at kneading.

She giggled as she kneaded the sheets in a bucket of soapy water. Izo was cleaning his sheets, and a few garments as well while telling stories of Thatch.

A few nurses joined for a wash day, keeping their distance from the duo for some unknown reason. Izo noticed her curious looks towards the gossiping woman.

"They all have a crush on Marco. Think you're competition."

Lyra couldn't help but snort. "They're jealous of me? A cat?" Another snort pulled from her before she dissolved into giggles. "That's funny."

Izo just gave her a knowing smile before going back to scrubbing. Ahh this was fun, it took her mind off worrying but also left her very wet.

A few more hours of them scrubbing, and Marco's room was smelling fresh and clean. Clean sheets, a made bed, dusted room.

Lyra stood on Izo's shoulder, "Thank you for your help." She got a scratch in return before shouting reached their ears.

Fearing an attack, Izo shielded Lyra as he ran off towards the deck. Lyra crouched low along his neck, trying to be as inconspicuous as possible.