Chapter 15

"Looking lovely sweetheart."

Lyra sent Thatch an air kiss, spinning around as she headed for the infirmary. Donning a fresh dark green dress that Izo made her, she skipped along the hallways.

Knocking on the intended door, she waited for it to open with her bare toes tapping in anticipation. The door opened to reveal a tired blonde commander.

"Come on in yoi."

Lyra settled on the extra chair, eagerly awaiting her assignment. The infirmary was where she decided could use her skills the most, what with her healing abilities and all.

Marco handed her a piece of paper, she quickly read it over. Scheduling, routines and procedures. "You're to report everyday in the infirmary starting after breakfast. You'll be paired up with one of the senior nurses for shadowing, yoi." Lyra made a face at that, she doesn't need help.

"Pass. I have more experience than everyone here, including you Commander." She drawled out the title with a small smile, "I'm sure I'll pick everything up quickly."

"You still have to-"

Lyra waved her hand lazily, "Who do you think taught humans healing techniques? It all came from somewhere." It's been a long time since she had a mentor, a teacher of the healing arts. "Anyways can I have a tour of the infirmary?"

Marco sighed as he was getting nowhere with her, "Fine. Let's go yoi." He picked up a stack of folders before leading her to the first room.

Lyra spent the day following Marco around as she got a feel for the infirmary and it's routines. She found herself enjoying it, and showing off to Marco.

She enjoyed the look of fascination once she healed someone, asking a million questions on how it works. She had her hands placed on a broken leg, lighting the area up gold a bit before removing her hands to reveal healthy skin.

"All set."

The man thanked her profusely as a nurse came over to check on it, before clearing him from the infirmary.

"How do you do it yoi?" Marco sat at his desk, glasses perched on his nose as he looked through his notes. "I still don't understand how it works."

Lyra just laughed from her place on his desk, "That is magic my dear Phoenix. Can't really explain it any better, it's been years since my master taught me."

Memories from long ago are fuzzy, time moved fast for an immortal. She enjoyed the new memories she was making here, this new family. It was different and exhilarating.

"Who did you learn from yoi?" He turned towards her, placing his glasses on the desk. "Who teaches a guardian?"

Humming, she gave him a little smile. "Well my healer master was the Guardian of Medicine. She is an incredible woman, a fantastic healer and a doting mother. Had twelve children." Marco watched her with a soft look, as she smiled softly at the memory. "I learned everything from her, well I also taught myself a lot. She taught me herbs and potions."

"Ah she was a master at them. Any kind of potion or medicine. All I could do were basic balms and potions, I focused on healing that was one of my gifts." Lyra tapped her thighs, "I had many masters, all other guardians. It was common to teach your gifts to others so they could know a little of everything. Of course we can't be masters in those areas."

She turned somber, "It was a long time ago. Happier times before he changed everything. Ah enough about that. What else is there to do today?" She forced a smile on her face, before catching sight of his expression.

The smile slipped a bit at the soft look he was giving her. She caught the affection in his eyes as he watched her. Butterflies grew in her stomach, a light blush coating her cheeks. She had a crush. Shit she had a crush on Marco.

"Marco?" She waved a hand in his face, breaking whatever daze he was in. "What's next on the agenda?" It was late in the afternoon now, she wasn't sure what he did next.

Blue eyes went back to his papers, sorting them through. "Just need to check up on Pops. You're free for the rest of the day." Lyra perked up at that, she never fully healed Whitebeard.

"Oh let me come!" She bounced off the table and gave him a wide grin. "I never finished healing him, he's due for a session you know." Ah she'd get him better in no time since she's back at full power again.

"Ah, I can't–"

Lyra cut him off again, she had a bad habit of doing that. "I've been healing him since day one Marco. I haven't finished, now I can completely heal him." It would take a bit depending on how much she still had left, always hard to tell as a cat.

Marco sighed but gave up arguing and led her towards Whitebeard's room. Lyra forgot that he took checkups and treatments in his room.

Lyra let Marco take the lead, being the Doctor and doing his thing. She didn't pay much attention, but enjoyed his expressions at his Captain refusing all treatments.

"Lyra!"

She perked up at her name and gave the large man a wide smile. "Your treatment is here old man! That would be me." Lyra said pointing both thumbs towards herself with a wiggle. "It shouldn't take me long!"

Whitebeard frowned but wasn't able to counter her as she pulled the chair over and sat down next to him. Hands hovered over his arm, "Now. This shouldn't hurt at all but please let me know if I make you uncomfortable at any time or need anything. Are you ready?"

She waited for him to give his consent before she began. Her eyes fluttered closed, slightly furrowed brows of concentration as she started.

The men watched the little woman work. Neither had seen her fully in action, and this wasn't even the full thing. Lyra's hands glowed a golden color where they were.

Marco pulled out a notebook to take notes, her abilities with healing fascinated him. He was curious about what her limits were and how it worked.

Whitebeard sighed in content as the warm feeling filled his body. It slowly started where her hands touched his arm, spreading through his body. He could imagine it looking around and seeing what was wrong.

Sometimes it flared in certain parts and felt warmer before moving on. He could almost sense the healing, the power coursing through him.

Lyra focused as she spread her magic through his body. She had already healed a few spots, heading towards the main concern on his lung. She recalled it as a cat, it was where she focused the most.

Finding it took a bit of time, but healing it was easy. She had done harder in her lifetime, besides she was made to heal. It was one of her gifts after all.

It took Lyra thirty minutes to be completely satisfied with her healing. A couple double checks to make sure she got everything, she hasn't healed this magnitude in a long time.

Sitting back with a sigh, Lyra cracked her back with a groan. "All done. You should rest and let your body catch up with the healing. Let me know if anything happens or you have questions. Other than that you Mr. Whitebeard are as healthy as a baby."

GURARARARA. "I feel wonderful. Thank you dear." A large hand rubbed her head fondly. "I am grateful."

Lyra grinned and made her way out, letting Marco do his checkups and other medical things. She wasn't planning on overstepping her boundaries here, she knew she wasn't needed here anymore. Time to go annoy Ace.