|06|

It was hot, dark and noisy. Flashing lights, married the loud blaring speakers and psychedelic carpet in a strangely pleasant cacophony. The smell of fresh buttery popcorn and sweet fizzy soft drink permeated through the air ruined, Killian noticed, by the subtle but distinct undercurrent of body odour. Nevertheless, Rachel's excitement as they had walked into the arcade had already made the night successful, and if he breathed through his mouth the scent was barely even noticeable.

He had chosen the place, after asking Adam (who asked Leora) about any good places to go on a date in Willsden Brooke. The couple had given him a myriad of ideas, but Killian felt it in his gut the moment Leora had mentioned the Arcade that Rachel would enjoy it.

Rachel pulled him over to some of the large game consoles, parking them in Tekken versus battle against one another. She inserted a pound coin, jittering excitedly as the music in the game pumped her up.

"I'm so gonna kick your butt." She grinned, bouncing on her toes as if she herself were the fighter. Killian held back a chuckle as he took in her enthusiasm; he loved this side of her, it was a joy to watch her so carefree and happy.

The screen flashed and changed, and Rachel's eyes zeroed in on the screen, her tongue peeking out of her mouth with the force of her concentration. Her hands moved like a bird in flight as she tapped buttons with a precise, skillful deftness. Killian reverted to the infamous button smashing technique, though it was clearly not as effective as Rachel's own well rehearsed combinations.

"Boom!" Rachel hollered loudly when she won. A grin splitting across her face lighting up her features like stars in the darkness of night, laughter peeling from her lips boisterous, and daring.

Killian couldn't help but be rendered speechless by the sight; she was so beautiful. It was the unashamed way she took up space, with passion and purpose that none could refute. Killian was almost blinded by her light, and how brilliantly she shone. He had met countless people, but never before had he met someone like her; someone who he knew with certainty was destined for greatness, whether her path lay with him or somewhere else. But by the Goddess he hoped, he hoped her path would be with his.

"I'm starting to think you had the upper hand there." Killian mused playfully, hoping that his flirting would distract her from how awe-struck he was by her.

"I may or may not have some practice," Rachel shrugged innocently before a devious smile took over her features. "If it's any consolation, you can pick the next game and try your hardest to beat me."

Rachel had ample reason to be so confident, after all she had spent many days in the same arcade, skipping classes at university before finally dropping out. She spent hours gaming, hoping to distract her from her sad reality. Looking back she tried not to regret it too much because if it wasn't gaming it would've been something else; who knew what else she might have fallen into. Although she hadn't been back for quite a few years, it was still helping her kick Killian's butt.

"You've got a competitive streak," Killian chuckled as he admired the glint in her eyes.

"Oh you don't know the half of it," Rachel chuckled humorlessly. She quietly deliberated whether or not she should tell him; she didn't want to frighten him off, but she also felt like he should know what he was getting himself into with her. "That competitive streak of mine... sometimes I think I'd be better off without it."

"There's nothing wrong with some healthy competition," Killan tried to comfort her. He didn't want her to think that he saw her competitiveness as a negative thing; on the contrary, he found it incredibly sexy.

"You don't know who I am, do you?" She snorted. A smirk tugged at her lips, only Killian knew that it wasn't the same flirtatious, playful one she had been wearing before. This one seemed heavier, almost resentful. "Darling round here, everyone calls me trouble."