|15|

By the time a week had gone by, Rachel and Killian had settled into a routine together. They would wake up and eat breakfast together, Killian would go to work and Rachel would often join him with her guitar slung on her shoulder. Whilst he and Leandra worked, Rachel would sit on one of the comfortable chairs strumming and humming gently as she worked out her next composition.

Sometimes she would help the two. Killian was getting ready for the next annual audit which would take place over the coming weeks, so he needed to make sure he had everything organised to make things as easy as possible. It was small jobs like stapling files, or organising the binders, or reminding him of which tasks he had to do. Rachel quite enjoyed it, and even joked that Killian would have to start paying her a wage to be his assistant.

Most days they stayed in the office only until the work was finished before heading off. Having time to spend together was a great incentive to have them work quickly and efficiently, so that they didn't have to spend longer than necessary at work.

Oftentimes they would go home, sometimes they would work out together sometimes they would be engrossed in their own activities– Rachel with her guitar, Killian with his black clothbound notebook that he would never let her see– but still in each other's company.

Their nights ended the same way, curled up together under Killian's duvet in a messy tangle of naked, tired limbs. They would talk for hours, until they were too tired to keep their eyes open or the sun came up, whichever came first.

It was all so peaceful, so perfect that Rachel had a growing pit of dread building within her. She was painfully aware of the shadow looming over her, the one telling her that things couldn't be this good forever— something would go wrong, someone would end up hurt and she couldn't let it be her.

She turned over on the bed, the clock glaring at her its angry red numbers— it was only 5pm— she and Killian had not too long gotten home and been distracted after their showers, ending up in an erotic mess of limbs on the bed. Her fingers trailed mindlessly through his hair, each curly strand tickling her fingers as they pushed through the thick tresses.

"We should do something fun tonight," Rachel purred.

"I thought we were already doing something fun..." Killian grunted, the sound rumbling in his chest seductive and playful. His lips scorched a heated kiss to Rachel's collarbone, branding her with his passion as he flipped the pair over so that he was hovering over her.

"I mean we are, but I want to go out and do something..." Rachel whined, giggling when his 5 o'clock shadow brushed against the sensitive skin of her neck. She shrunk, hiding the sensitive area from him, pulling away so that she could look at him. "I wanna go out dancing with you."

"Ray, Angel," Killian started to hum against her skin, only he paused, his brows furrowing as he concentrated for a moment. Then he let out a frustrated angry huff. "Fuck."

"What's wrong?"

"Put some clothes on." He himself raised off the bed and slid on a pair of boxers and some pants over it. He looked back to Rachel who in frustrated confusion followed his sudden command, pulling on a thong and looking about the room for something to wear.

Killian, noticing her mood, devoured the space between them in two large steps, his mouth descending on hers in a hasty clumsy clash of tongue and teeth. "We're not done talking I promise." His hand came down, patting her ass lightly, a quiet pained groan leaving his lips as he palmed her flesh knowing that he had to pull away. "Get dressed quickly."

He turned and walked out the door, leaving Rachel stumped, annoyed and hoping that wasn't the last time she'd feel his hand on her ass like that.

Rachel scrambled around the room, pulling on a pair of leather pants and a band tee that she had cut to turn into a cropped shirt deciding against the trouble of trying to put on a bra so fast. She wanted to know what had gotten Killian so worked up so suddenly.