Chapter 2

Author's POV....

Author's POV....

Despite Meera's attempts to stop Sakshi, she managed to have another glass of whisky. After Sakshi's divorce with Nikhil, she was leading a robotic life whilst looking after Shreya. It was Meera who encouraged Sakshi to resume her studies. After completing her MBA, Sakshi moved out, leaving Shreya with Damini temporarily when she got a job in the insurance company along with Meera with an aim to rebuild her life. Sakshi did try to move on in between all of this but seeing Nikhil happy in his posts on social media started triggering Sakshi recently. Her recent drinking habits were all making it worse for her.

"I wanted to see the New Year's fireworks from the terrace but never mind, can't take you around in this condition anywhere" Meera said with slight disappointment in her voice.

"Let's watch the fireworks. Oh wait! I need to make a call before that" said Sakshi and picked up her phone. "No Sakshi, no stop!" Meera said when she saw Nikhil's picture. Meera reached for Sakshi's phone but before she could snatch it away, she ran clumsily.

"Sakshi, I swear to God. DO NOT call him!" Meera said nervously.

"I want to wish him Meera please" Sakshi said whilst pressing the call button.

"Oh my God, Sakshi! I can't bear to see all this!" Meera said as she slowly sat down on the chair nearby.

"It's ringing" Sakshi said happily just like a child to which her best friend rolled her eyes.

After approximately five rings, someone picked up the phone.

"Yes Sakshi?" Nikhil asked coldly

"Heeey Nikhil" Sakshi replied, stretching out the 'hey' longer than she needed. Meera let out a sigh feeling disappointed and embarrassed.

"Anything important?" asked Nikhil in measured tones, sounding colder.

"Actually, I rang to wish you a Happy New Year..." Sakshi said not knowing what else to say.

"Ok. Happy New year" Nikhil said and ended the call.

"Oh shit! Why did he end the call so quickly? That monkey Shradda might have told him to do so. IDIOT" Sakshi said and threw her phone onto the bed. Meera once again sighed.

Within a few seconds, Sakshi picked her phone back from the bed and redialled Nikhil. "Sakshi, no!" Meera said but Sakshi shushed her. "Shhh! Meera it's ringing" Sakshi said whilst she used her right hand to keep Meera at a distance and left to hold the phone to her ear.

One ring, two rings, three rings, four rings, five rings.

"Hello?" Sakshi said eagerly

"The person you have called cannot be reached at the moment. Please try again later" said a voice. It was the BSNL lady!

"Oh just f**k off lady. Don't be an emotionless b**ch" Sakshi said angrily.

"Sakshi, leave it if he can't be reached" Meera suggested.

"No way" Sakshi said and redialled.

"Sakshi, stop it! Don't be so low! Act a bit more maturely. Nikhil and his wife will freak out seeing all these missed calls. Just please stop!" Meera said as she tried to snatch the phone away from Sakshi. Meera honestly felt like giving her friend a good slap to bring her back to her senses at this point.

When Sakshi dialled Nikhil's number for the tenth time, a voice different from the BSNL lady's voice answered. It was Nikhil.

"What is it, Sakshi?" Nikhil asked, partially annoyed. His annoyance was evident in his tone.