Chapter 21

Authors POV

"Sakshi, the abuse does not define who you are; what you do in life defines who you are. The abuse happened to you, not because of you. The abuse does not define you; love yourself." Nikhil said, trying to comfort a Sakshi who was in tears.

"How can I love myself, Nikhil? Every part of my body reminds me that I am a rape survivor and whatnot? From the media to everything reminds me of that cruel incident!! That reminder is making me hate myself!!" Sakshi screamed out.

Nikhil had initially come in to enquire about Sakshi's case and take Sakshi's statement as he is the lead investigating officer. However, the conversation took a different turn and here is Nikhil trying to comfort the poor soul, although there is nothing Nikhil can do to soothe the poor soul.

"Maybe I don't deserve to live? Could that be why I've gone through everything I have? From the mental agony of losing you to being criticised by everyone around me for betraying you and the painful days, I endured after our divorce. After that, just when life seemed to get brighter, I was brutally raped; the pain and humiliation of the rape will haunt me forever, won't it, Nikhil?" Sakshi said in a shattered manner and fell onto Nikhil's chest. Nikhil gently wrapped his arms around Sakshi's fragile body and softly kissed her forehead.

"I never wished to let go of you, Sakshi, but I knew I had to. Don't get me wrong, letting go of you didn't mean I stopped loving you because I still do so much. I did what was best for both of us; if we had stayed together, we would have ruined each other. Sometimes I wish things would have worked out differently. Maybe if I had met you under different circumstances or at a different time or place, things would work just fine; who knows... When I still look at our old pictures, I still suffocate in your brown eyes; I still melt at your charming smile. Letting go of you slowly destroyed me, but I know that holding on would have killed both of us." Nikhil said, as a tear slowly escaped from his eyes. Sometimes Nikhil wonders whether Sakshi would have been safe if she was still his wife today.

Deep inside Sakshi's heart, she felt contented hearing that Nikhil still loves her, although she knows that the love Nikhil is talking about is not the love he had for her in the past... But somehow, Nikhil's words managed to calm Sakshi down. Just when Sakshi realised that they were hugging each other, Sakshi broke the hug; that's when Nikhil and Sakshi saw, Aarav, who was watching whatever happened between Nikhil and Sakshi.

"Aarav, sorry I didn't see you coming. Are you ok?" Nikhil asked, brushing his hair through

"Ah, I only just came through. How are you, sir?" Aarav enquired casually to decrease the awkwardness amongst themselves.

Very soon, Nikhil bid farewell to both Sakshi and Aarav and left the scene. Just as Nikhil was going, he reminded Sakshi and Aarav, especially Sakshi, that "if life can remove someone you never thought of losing, it can replace with someone you never dreamt of having. Make the next choices in your life wisely and accept what God is offering you," Nikhil said as he looked at Aarav and sakshi.

Somehow hearing Nikhil's words added a tinge of happiness in Aarav. It gave him hope that someday Sakshi will welcome Aarav into her life. Sakshi, too understood what Nikhil meant, but Sakshi will always be in a different frame of mind to accept Aarav.

                   . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Aarav and Keshav's college friend Akshay was getting married today, and for obvious reasons, Aarav refused to attend the marriage. After much convincing and assurance from Akshay's side that Siddharth and Chandini (Aarav's ex) won't participate in the marriage function, Aarav decided to tag along and attend his friend's marriage.

Wedding Day

Keshav's POV

Aarav and I were finally in the wedding hall. Siddharth and I gaped in awe at the generosity of the wedding. There were bright and colourful decorations throughout the wedding hall, and strings of marigolds were also hung from the wide columns that supported the structure. Me and Aarav felt proud knowing this was our friend's wedding venue. Of the four of us in the friendship group, only Siddharth and Akshay became successful; there's me and Aarav still wandering around with a lack of money and a handful of problems.

Once we greeted our friend Akshay, Aarav and I took seats. While observing my surroundings, I noticed a young girl dressed in a green lehenga radiating an intelligent beauty. The girl had left her hair open and was wearing an elegant diamond necklace and a matching pair of diamond earrings. It was none other than my Meera. Suddenly, my heart started to beat at its full speed, and my hands began to tremble; I don't know why, but her presence made me feel nervous. Throughout the wedding ceremony I tried my best to avoid eye contact with her, but as soon as Meera caught a glimpse of Aarav and Me, she came across; of course, she avoided me but greeted Aarav ever so pleasantly. For the first time, seeing Meera in such attire ignited my heart. I noticed the shyness in how she walked, the simplicity in her body movements and the softness in her voice. The simplest of most superficial details of Meera started to fascinate me... When enquired further, we learned that Akshay was marrying Meera's older sister Keerthana.

Just before the wedding ceremony began, I got a call from the manager Mr Kumar; feeling annoyed, I went outside the building to attend the call. Just as I had finished the call, I noticed someone parking their car in front of the venue. It was none other the Siddharth ...

At first, Aarav was reluctant to attend this wedding as it was evident that Akshay would invite Siddharth and Chandini (Aarav's ex). But after a lot of convincing and assurance from Akshay's side that Siddharth and Chandini would not attend the marriage due to work commitments in America, Aarav felt relieved. He decided to participate in the marriage function.

Aarav was extremely shattered the day he found out that Siddharth was going to marry Chandini; Aarav felt betrayed and hurt, especially as Siddharth very well knew his and Chandini's relationship but had not once informed Aarav that he was going to marry Chandini. Even I struggled to digest that Siddharth married Chandini; after that, I lost my respect towards Siddharth ...

I hope that Aarav won't make a scene seeing Siddharth ...

. . . .

Hello everyone, hope y'all liked this chapter.

What do you think regarding Nikhils affection towards Sakshi ?

Do you guys think that Nikhil still loves Sakshi ?

Keshav is starting to develop feelings for Meera ... But would she accept Keshav back into her life ?

Will there be an encounter between Siddharth and Aarav ?

Do you guys think Chandini will arrive with Siddharth ?

Why might have Chandini left Aarav for ?

The official cast has been changed ... please check it out ...

Will update the next chapter asap