Mission failed

Maya sobbed in her car. She was supposed to confront Alexis but instead, she broke down crying. Alexis had witnessed her weakness. She was no longer intimidating. She had failed the mission. Now Alexis for sure had one-up on her. But she reasoned that it was a good thing because Alexis was going to call the police. She would've preferred if Alexis let her kick her butt and then call it even but no, instead she ran away with her tail between her legs.

Nathan thought he was keeping it a secret from her. But she knew more than she let on. And was relieved that Alexis didn't open her big mouth and tell him. She respected her for that.

She debated whether or not to call her best friend. Whenever they spoke she would lie and say things were cool between her and Nathan. But that was far from the truth. He spent days at a time away from home and was drinking more. She didn't dare confront him. She just played it off like everything was cool. He was earning more in his career, had gained traction and recognition with brand deals and was enjoying the fruits of his labour a little too much.

Maya had always had a bad feeling when he rushed into a relationship with her. They went from going on a few dates to her getting the keys to his apartment and moving in because he wanted to be close to her. At the time, she thought it was romantic and he showered her with attention. It was all good at the start and she was able to tolerate the mention of his ex all the time. She thought he would get over her in time. But she thought wrong. Alexis took advantage of him and started manipulating him. She was the problem and reason why their relationship was on rocky grounds. And nothing was going to change her mind.

She was overwhelmed and needed to sleep it off. She got out of her car and walked inside the empty apartment with Nathan nowhere to be found. She took a shower and poured herself a bottle of wine, wearing sexy lingerie to feel wanted.

She was half asleep when she got a message.

Saturday 20 Dec 11.31 LexxyMUA: I know it's late but if you need someone to talk to, you can talk to me. We don't have to be enemies. Alexis.

Maya read the message and started crying all over again. She didn't respond. She ended up celebrating Christmas without him. He promised to have dinner with her family but his phone was off and then he said he was working on music. They were supposed to celebrate the new year together but he stayed out all night at different events while she waited for him to come home.

Again, she didn't tell anybody. She would just cry herself to sleep and act like everything was okay.

"Mmm, I love you..."She heard him say, one night he came in late. He spooned her from behind and held her. She waited until she heard him snore until she started sobbing quietly.

Meanwhile, Alexis spent her holidays with her loved ones. And felt relieved. She hadn't heard from either Nathan or Maya.

"I listened to your advice and she still hasn't responded to my message," Alexis told Shannon as they chilled in her flat.

"You finally did it. I didn't think you would, because you're stubborn," Shannon teased she put some cat food out for her kitten.

"I just didn't think it was my place. I mean, she's visibly hurting and displacing that hurt on me. I thought about it and it makes sense that I should be the bigger person," Alexis explained.

"Exactly. You're both the victims of Nathan's immaturity and selfishness," Shannon agreed.

"Victims? Girl? You make it sound like we're in a support group," Alexis said laughing.

"Well, technically you are. And give it time. She's probably trying to process everything and maybe she's embarrassed for bursting out in tears like that," Shannon was on the ball that evening as they laughed together.

"So when are you going to get back out there and date?" She asked, taking a seat beside Alexis.

"When you start dating I will," Alexis answered cleverly.

"It's not about my dating woes. It's about you. I think it's time for you to get out there," Shannon urged.

"I don't know if I'm ready..."Alexis hesitated.

"You won't know until you try!" Shannon said playfully nudging her.

"Let's go on a double date. That way I won't feel alone," Alexis suggested. And Shannon looked like she was in deep thought.

"That's a good idea. I can sort something out," She said getting up and looking for her phone.

"I didn't expect that reaction. I said that in the spur of the moment but you seem prepared," Alexis looked worried as Shannon took a seat, still on her phone.

"Well, there's this guy I've been speaking to and he has a cousin. So this will be perfect," She was saying.

Alexis rose her eyebrow looking concerned.

"Um, have you seen this cousin?" She asked.

"We can look at him together, relax. I'm asking him now..." Shannon waited until the guy sent him a link to his social media. Alexis moved in closer to see.

"Ooh, he's fine..." They both said in unison.

"Wait, let me get a closer look," Alexis said snatching the phone from her. Shannon couldn't help but laugh.

"Yup, you're ready to date,"  She said watching her friend smile. It was great to see her return to normal. She almost lost her friend to heartache. But she bounced back. She didn't care if Alexis and this guy got together she just wanted her friend to explore all options. Maybe if Nathan's girlfriend saw that Alexis had moved on then she wouldn't be so suspicious. But Shannon knew that his girlfriend wouldn't bother Alexis anymore. It was obvious that she had failed the mission.