We need to talk, again

"She wants to talk..." Maya finally updated her best friend.
"She said she doesn't want to be enemies," She added.

"That's great. You can finally hash it out like mature adults," Maya flinched and felt like she was being accused of being immature.

"So you think I should reply to her message? I may have left it for too long," She confessed.

"How long is too long?" And Maya didn't want to reveal that much. She already felt vulnerable.

"It doesn't matter...I just couldn't make up my mind. I thought it could be a trap or something," She decided to say.

"She doesn't strike me as the type. You were the aggressor the entire time Maya. I know you don't like to hear that. But it's the truth," Maya knew she was right but still rolled her eyes, happy they were speaking on the phone and she couldn't see her facial expressions.

"I don't know what we'd even talk about..." She started to wonder.

"Nathan. He's the common denominator. Or maybe she just wants to be friends. I don't know but I know it's harmless and you don't have to overreact. But listen I got to go, keep me updated," She quickly rushed off the phone and Maya was relieved. Her best friend was not being sympathetic or empathetic. But Maya couldn't blame her. She was against Nathan from the start and this was just proving her right.

She decided to message Alexis back and suggested they meet up at the same place as last time. But this time, they could find somewhere to sit and talk. She never thought in a million years that this would be happening. Alexis felt like her sworn enemy and it felt awkward.

Alexis on the other hand was just as surprised. She thought Maya had deleted the message and had forgotten all about it. She too felt nervous. It felt out of place but it was something that needed to be done.

They both arranged a date that was convenient for them both. And when the day came Alexis almost wanted to chicken out. But she didn't.

It felt like De Ja Vu, getting out of her Uber and seeing Maya. It felt like the first time all over again. But this time Maya looked defeated and nothing like the woman who was scorned. Alexis almost wanted to reach out and hug her but didn't.

"Hey..." She said instead.

Maya took her in and admired her flawless beauty. She had a short bomber jacket, skin-tight jeans and knee-high leather boots with a tote bag.

"Hi, let's find somewhere warm. It's cold today," Maya said hurriedly and started walking forcing Alexis to catch up.

Maya was dressed like she was coming to fight. She had a velour tracksuit and a body warmer on with ugg boots. Her long hair was tied back in a ponytail. Alexis almost reconsidered turning back and going home. It was times like these where she wished she had pepper spray. It looked like Maya knew how to fight.

They found a spot and ordered some hot drinks.

"Honestly, I started thinking you wanted to fight me again," Alexis broke the ice as they sat opposite each other. She laughed but Maya didn't find it funny.

"Because you're wearing a tracksuit, which is cute by the way but it's a good outfit to fight in...." She tried to explain but Maya gave her a blank expression.

"Okay. She's a tough cookie," She muttered under her breath, looking around nervously.

"I do want to fight but I know it's not best," Maya finally responded.

Alexis just nodded and smiled nervously.

"After I burst into tears in front of you that day, that energy just diffused," She continued and Alexis just listened and nodded.

"I'm sure you feel sorry for me now. And I probably gave off mixed emotions," She said and then went silent waiting for Alexis to speak.

"No, I could just see the pain. There's a lot you don't know. The reason why I broke up with Nathan. I went through a lot of crap with him. Too much crap that I regret till this day," Alexis started off saying. And Maya studied her facial expressions and tone, to make sure she wasn't lying.

"And it pains me to see you reenacting that same pain. I don't want to be intrusive. But I can help you with that pain. I went through the same thing," She added and the awkward silence made her grateful when their drinks arrived.

"What makes you think I'm in pain? It could be bad periods or something unrelated to him," Maya was defensive as they sipped their drinks.

"Bullsh*t and you know it. I'm just saying you can talk to me if you like but I'm deading that idea you have of me in your head. Nathan broke my heart a million times until the love died. He thinks he still has some type of power over me. But he doesn't. I don't want him back in my life like that. I'm sorry if you got that impression," Alexis said boldly.

Maya listened.

"So nothing happened between you two up until this point? All those messages and the pictures of you two at your birthday party were nothing?" Maya asked staring at her as if she could see into her soul. It was unsettling and creepy.

"Nothing happened. He was messaging me and turned up uninvited at my party and as I predicted the blogs had a field day with it. Didn't he explain this to you?" She asked, skipping over the vulnerable drunken night they shared. It was obvious that Nathan kept Maya in the dark.

"He doesn't tell me anything but he doesn't know that I know everything. He gets so sloppy I question if he even cares how I feel. At this point he may as well leave open condom packets as evidence," She said looking off in the distance. And Alexis grew uncomfortable.

"You deserve better. Healthy love shouldn't hurt that bad," Alexis tried to warn her.

But only time would tell if their talk was even beneficial to either one of them.