You look better in person

"Alexis this is Derrick and Derrick this is Alexis," Shannon made the introduction with a wide grin.

Derrick took Alexis in and couldn't stop staring at her.

"You're prettier in person, wow. Forgive me, I'm stunned," He complimented, kissing the back of her hand as she blushed.

"And likewise," She meant that. Alexis had no idea where Shannon found this man. But he was heaven sent. He pulled her chair out and pushed her chair in when she sat down.

"Thank you," She said as he took his seat across from her beside his cousin.

"And this is Rory," Shannon made the introduction.

"Nice to meet you, Rory," Alexis said unable to keep her eyes off Derrick. He was definitely the better looking out of both of them. Rory had a more rugged rounded build and Derrick had the babyface slender muscular build.

He smiled back at her, keeping his eyes on her the entire time. It sent electric waves down her spine and a tingly sensation all over her body.

"You're not allergic to anything on this menu are you?" He asked as they got settled in. She shook her head.

His smile widened.

"Good, cause I want you to try something," He said and then called the waiter over.

"What about us? We're not ready to order yet bro?" Rory said jokingly.

"That's fine. I can come back when you're ready to make your order," The waiter said quickly saving the situation.

"Exactly. Chill," Derrick responded with a smile on his face when he went back to giving his order to the waiter.

"What would you like to drink?" He asked looking at Alexis.

She almost stammered over her words.
"Um, white wine thanks," She replied.

The waiter nodded and then left.

"That's a good choice," Derrick complimented her and she blushed.

"Thanks," She mumbled nervously.

"So Shannon told me you've recently returned to the dating scene?" Rory started the conversation as he and Shannon studied the menu. She looked up and kicked him under the table.

"What?" He mouthed as Alexis looked at him and Derrick continued staring at her. She cleared her throat.

"Yeah, I was taking a long hiatus after coming out of a long term relationship. How about you?" She answered diverting her gaze to Derrick.

"Who me?" Rory asked pointing at himself.

"No silly, she's talking to me," Derrick said with confidence and both Shannon and Alexis smiled at that. "Right?" And Alexis nodded.

"Exactly. I've been single for a while now. I haven't found the right woman. But something tells me that will change after tonight though," He answered winking at Alexis.

She giggled and was relieved when the waiter came over with their drinks and then took Shannon and Rory's orders. Her throat was parched and dry and that wine quenched her thirst.

"And you'll have me to thank for that Derrick," Shannon told him with a wink and he fell out laughing with a hearty laugh.

"Okay, I'll give credit where credit is due. You did your thing," He agreed and Alexis nodded.

"What about me?" Rory asked feeling left out.

"What about you? You just look good today and that's all that matters," Shannon said blowing a kiss at him as everyone including him started laughing.

"So what do you do for work?" Derrick asked once the food was served.

"I'm a professional makeup artist and I specialise in bridal and fashion shoot makeup. How about you?" She asked him as she used her knife and fork to cut into her meal.

"I own a men's leisure clothing line. Hats, jogging suits, t-shirts, hoodies etc, basically I'm a fashion designer," He said, watching her face as she took a bite of her food.

"Taste good?" He asked as a smile slowly spread across her red lips.

"Yes this is delicious," She admitted taking another bite.

"I knew you'd like it," He said with a mischievous grin.

"Get a room!" Shannon said as they all fell out laughing. She was just happy to see her friend glowing and enjoying herself. She had outdone herself with Derrick. He was showing her friend a good time. She could trust him with her. So when he offered to take her home, Shannon was practically pushing Alexis into Derrick's arms.

And he was such a gentleman. He walked her to the door.

"I enjoyed your company this evening," He told her as they stood outside of her door and she was lost in his eyes.

"Me too," She said softly as her eyes moved down to his lips.

"I hope I'm not being rude or too forward. But can I kiss you?" He asked staring at her lips then back up to her eyes that permitted him before she could even utter it. But he needed to hear it first before he made a move.

"Yes," She said breathlessly feeling her heartbeat against her chest in suspense when she realised he was waiting for her to say it.

He leaned in closer and she could smell his minty breath before his lips covered hers and she almost melted. He kissed her gently and softly but respectfully pulled back when it got heated.

She was panting like she was out of breath and wanted to pull him in closer by the collar of his shirt. But somehow she willed some self-control into her.

"I'd like to see you again Alexis," He said it like he saying something else. And she knew she had to chill because at that point she was hearing things she wanted to hear.

"I'd like that..."She was speaking in whispers. He had that affect on her. His masculinity was intoxicating and enveloping.

"I'll call you..." He said and she didn't realize he didn't have her number yet. But he was aware. He had his ways.

"Okay," She said just standing there. He chuckled taking a step back.

"Goodnight. I want to make sure you get in safe. So I'm not leaving until you go inside," He said and she came back to reality.

"Of course, thanks. Goodnight. Drive safe," She said as she fetched for her house keys and opened her door. True to his word he waited until her door was shut until he walked off.