Chapter Eighteen

Paradise Hotel had cold rooms with the odd offering of food that had been frozen in a white mini fridge. The walls were painted beige, with the normal bathroom and single or double beds.

"I think that's all of them," James stated.

The building had been quiet without people as he tried to decide where they could travel next. Before he decided, they met eyes with Cindy and Nevaeh, who stared at them with wide eyes and pale faces.

"He's here," Cindy said, her voice trembling.

Jason wasn't sure who they had been talking about. Hearing the emergency staircase door whip open, Jason saw something he never expected to see. Luke was standing there with a sadistic grin.

"I saw your body die!" Cindy cried.

"You can't keep me down," Luke sneered, his noodle reattached like his normal arm.

Jason held his hands out and shot his light at Luke without hesitation. That noodle arm slashed James across the face while he cried out in pain. When that burning light hit Luke, he popped away just like any of Ashley's normal slaves.

"He joined Ashley," Jason breathed out.

"Before we found you guys, he was downstairs." Cindy rushed out, running her hands over her face."I saw Greyson kill him."

Jason knew this wasn't going to be easy. Stopping Ashley has been difficult enough, but Luke is now one of those followers, or slaves.

James held his cheek, where a large gash had been revealed. "Why are you two here?" Jade asked, pointing at Nevaeh and Cindy.

"It's quite boring back in Simcoe. Actually, it's pretty chaotic... Oh, I know why! Zane has the virus," Nevaeh chimed.

Jason never confronted Zane about leading and just assumed someone could do it for him. He probably should have, especially since only Esme, Bryce, and Emma knew.

"Who's stepping up?" Jason asked.

"Mark," Nevaeh said. "Since nobody else has the ability to stand up or deal with what's going on."

"How's Bella?" Jason asked.

"Let's say Eden gave her a lecture," Nevaeh said.

"Is that bad?" Jason asked as Jade nodded, looking around the hallway.

"Eden loses her cool with those who are considered bad believers in God," Jade stated.

"Now, we're here," Cindy said. "We just wanted to check everything," the two of them bopped away.

The three of them just stared at each other. "Let's get to Sunny's," Jason said as he started running down the stairs. Without realizing it, his muscles felt weak just going down them.

Standing in the lobby, they breathed heavily. "I don't remember the stairs being that much work," James stated.

"Do you have an idea which way Sunny's is?" Jade asked.

"I think it's in the middle of nowhere," Jason said.

They loaded back into the car as he scouted for any sign of Ashley's followers. Jade started the CRV and sped back towards town, except for turning down a gravel road. Everything was just dark, snowy, and windy without a faint flicker of light.

"What happens if we don't find it?" James asked, swinging his legs in the back.

"It should be nearby," Jason said.

He couldn't remember going here since John and Ashley had joined their family. He got a sick feeling in his stomach. Greyson was supposed to be his actual brother. Now they're out looking for some new type of shelter, while Greyson is out at the luxury mansion. How was that even fair? Greyson is a control freak and even a murderer, while Jason is considered the hero, taking all the risks despite getting injured repeatedly.