Chapter Thirty

"I think we're lost," Mark called.

"We are," Scarlett said.

Greyson did not intend for it to be this way once they got back from the island. He assumed they'd head back to town, but they were wandering along in the darkness.

"Rick's is over there," Yara said, pointing to the outline of the gas station.

It had been one thing to walk with people for a long period of time, but finding Simcoe hasn't been going well.

"Didn't you bring that map, Esme?" Bryce asked as Esme nodded multiple times, pulling it out of her pocket.

"It's a map of Ontario." Greyson snatched it and opened the map. "Hey!" She tried to get the map out of his hands.

"River," Greyson spat as River sped over. "Use your light," he poked his temple, and his body glowed.

Greyson tried to locate Simcoe on the map, but it didn't appear. The darkness made it impossible to see most of the small towns or roads that they could even be near.

"There," Scarlett pointed out with a frown.

Scarlett didn't seem too bothered by leaving the island. Plus, they got warmer clothes; they could wear clean clothes instead of dirty ones like everyone else.

"We're on the back road," Greyson said, tracing a finger into town.

"We'll go—" most of them fled toward Rick's.

"Don't expect them to be loyal. They'd all run off," Scarlett said.

Greyson just stared down at the map sourly. "Then we'll just leave without them. They can find their own way," he implied.

He started walking onward as Scarlett rolled her eyes. River followed behind, looking nervously as they turned down a different road. They can all stay there at the cold gas station without any food.

"Are you sure you aren't going the wrong way?" Scarlett mocked him with a smirk.

"I'm not," he spat, turning his attention down the dark road. All around them were just darkness and snow, with the outlines of dark pine trees.

"Wrong way."

Greyson stopped, looking around. "Come out or die," he spat.

"Are you talking to an imaginary friend now?" She snickered, her arms crossed.

"There was a voice in my head," Greyson explained as he pointed at his temple. "Someone's toying with me."

"It's probably just Divina toying around," Scarlett said.

Ashley was illiterate and wouldn't talk in his head, and Divina isn't around here anymore. Well, not that he knows, but Emma has a connection to Divina. Why do people have to make everything frustrating?

"I think it's that way," Scarlett said, pointing down the side road covered with thick snow.

They continued walking while Greyson thought of the endless answers. Yes, he'd be coming back to town because they needed him, but whose voice had it been? It was faint enough that you couldn't tell if it was a girl or a boy.

"I'm not throwing you off. I can't help you yet."

There it was again.

"Who are you?" Greyson asked in his head, awaiting an answer.

"Ashley is scared of me."

Ashley being scared of whoever this person is made him grin. He felt the pride grow within him because this thing was only talking to him and only him.