Chapter Twenty-Nine

"I'm not going," Scarlett said.

"They are here to bring us back," he attempted to reason.

"No."

Greyson travelled across the master bedroom, eyeing Scarlett. Why would anyone want to head back to that wreckage area? There was no heat or good food to restore their bodies.

"It has to be done," Greyson said as he kissed her. Pulling back, he went back to the large suitcase and placed the clothes in it. "I'm pretty sure there's another suitcase in there."

"You have to."

Scarlett felt her eyes grow wide as she glanced around the room. Greyson didn't say anything, and the door was shut. It'd be doubtful if Preston came to spy on both of them in the same room. Something communicated to her through her mind. Is she turning to some of those patients who think birds are talking to them?

"It won't be long," Greyson stated.

She didn't want to go, but she wanted to figure out that voice. It wasn't a taunt or something from her own imagination. Putting her hands on her hips, she still felt that faint rank. It could have been the baby communicating inside her mind.

"Yes."

"I'm going to the bathroom quickly," she said as she rushed out of the master bedroom into her own. She slammed the door in her own bathroom and noticed her hands trembling. "Are you a girl or a boy?"

She awaited an answer, but there was no response. She probably looked like their French teacher, who used to talk to himself.

"Go back to town with Daddy."

She stumbled against the wall. Okay, this has become terrifying. She's definitely gone mad or something. Doesn't pregnancy mess with your head or something? It's not like she can freely open a book about pregnancy around here.

"You aren't crazy, mommy. I can talk in your head."

This voice neither rules out masculine nor feminine. It was just a faint echo that became audible. Why the hell was her own child talking in her head?

"This shouldn't be happening," Scarlett whispered. "Am I supposed to teach you things as a fetus?"

There had been no response, which she felt was a small weight off her shoulders. It's not that she appeared pregnant at all; she still looked the same. At least with some of the food here, she didn't look slim-boned.

"Why do you want me back in town?" Scarlett waited for an answer but shook her head.

Uden Academy would be dreadful with all the darkness and starvation happening there. Even though she heard the brief overview of everything going on, she didn't want to leave this warmth and luxury.

"Something bad is going to happen. Worse than this danger."

"Bad how?" Scarlett asked. She didn't know why she decided to continue talking to her child, who could speak through her mind.

"Ashley's scared of me."

"Why is she scared?" Scarlett asked but got no answer as she opened the bathroom door.

"Emma knows."

Scarlett stopped, glancing around the bedroom. "You want me to see Emma?"

"Find Emma before Ashley kills her."

Scarlett barely knew much about pregnancy herself. She did know that babies don't speak like an echo in her head. Something then began to add up in her head. If this baby was a medium rank now, did this mean they'd be a higher rank than Greyson and Jason? Is the baby's power telepathy?