Prolouge

A/N: Hello so I've rewritten a lot about this story, so to those of you that have read this before, some details are different. But to those of you that have not, enjoy!

And I finally narrowed downt the plotline, so I know egg-xactly where this is going. I will conquer and finish and whatnot!

-SKatInk

..................

“Sigrid! Dinner’s ready!”

“Coming!” I shouted and I scrambled up off my bedroom floor, leaving my drawing of my family behind. I still needed to color my mom’s dress and the sky, but that could wait. Dinner smelled delicious. When I walked in the kitchen, I saw my older brother Marcus, who was twelve, already scooping my mom’s famous meatloaf and home fries onto his plate.

I walked over and my mom filled my plate, contrary to how she’d let him serve himself. When I saw the amount of food she’d given me, my brow creased. It was so small and there were so little fries compared to what he had! “Can I have some more?”

My mom shook her head. “No, sweetie. This is enough for you.”

“But Marcus got more!” I protested. This wasn’t fair! I wanted just as much as him!

My mom smiled down at me with her cerulean eyes. “Marcus is a big boy.”

“Yeah,” he sneered from the table.

“Marcus!” my mom exclaimed at the same time I said, “Shut up!”

“Sigrid!” she said, whirling back to face me. “Say you’re sorry!”

Marcus was smirking at me from behind her back, so I stuck my lip out. “He’s making faces at me again!” I pointed to him.

She didn’t even turn around. How unfair! Why should I say sorry to someone who’s making faces at me? I crossed my arms when she glared at me. “Say you’re sorry, Sigrid. Now.”

“Sorry,” I muttered, glaring back at her.

“That’s it,” she said and she stood up straight, her blonde hair trembling out from her bun. “Go out on the back deck. I will call you back in when your time-out is over.”

“But mom!” I protested, stomping my foot.

She towered over me and pointed towards the back door. “Five minutes, Sigrid. Go.”

I stomped outside and she closed the door behind me. Thankfully it was summer so I didn’t have to worry about being cold or dark, but I hated Marcus! What a meanie! Just because he was four years older than me!

I plopped on our swing, but I quickly grew tired of being alone. I remembered I had my Raggedy Anne doll in the woods behind our house. My dad had found a plastic house that the previous owners of the house had left behind and he’d cleaned it out. It was now my official playhouse. Not even mean old Marcus could go near it.

I jumped off the swing and took off for the woods, clomping down the stairs. Surely I hadn’t used up more than a minute. Minutes took forever to pass. I’d have some time to play. Making my way into the woods, I spotted the cabin-styled plastic house and grabbed some wildflowers in a messy bouquet. Anne would love them.

When I arrived at the house, Anne was calling my name. “I’m here, Anne! I brought some flowers!” I hurried inside the red door and found her smiling up at me with her beaded black eyes. I picked her up and gave her a big hug.

“Marcus is such a meanie,” I muttered into her red hair. She agreed with me eagerly. He was the meanestest person to ever walk the earth.

“Let’s go play in that open space,” I said and she agreed again, bobbing her head as I pulled her away from my chest. We skipped out of the playhouse and headed fifty yards away, deeper into the forest. There was this small, circular clearing in the middle of the woods and Anne and I had made it our backyard. We’d played baseball out there before. She wasn’t very good at it, so we gave it up quickly.