Chapter 11: Trouble in Paradise

A/N: Working on the next chapter! Should be up soon! :) 

Sigrid

That was easily the most satisfying sleep I’d ever had in my life. I had no dreams, but when I awoke, my body was swimming with slow energy, ready to initialize and take on the day. When my eyelids fluttered open groggily, I was hyperaware of my head on Theo’s chest, and the thinness of my t-shirt. I tried to push off of him, but his heavy arm caged me in around his body.

“Great,” I murmured sarcastically. And so I looked up at my mate and hmmed quietly. His face was like a blank canvas, like someone had sculpted him, but not to make him perfect. He didn’t have a masculine jaw, but his chin was strong, so it compensated. His eyebrows were bushy, but it created a very handsome shadow in his eyes. He had a couple of sunspots and freckles on his nose and cheekbones, but it stirred my wolf affectionately.

Theo looked like he was in heaven. His head a tilted back against the rock a little and his hot cinnamon scent enveloped us like a force field. It swam all around me, nearly suffocating me.

I sighed deeply, peeling my hand from his chest. His breaths were deep and nosey, with a bit of a snore. My goose bumps had vanished and the warmth that had flooded over me in the night was lingering, strongest in my neck.

Another minute passed before I slithered underneath his arm, my butt sticking up in the air. When I finally straightened, my wolf yowled in misery.

Deal with it, I scolded. She whined loudly as I crouched out of the cave. I needed to stretch my legs, and maybe, if I was lucky, get back to my house before Theo woke up. The sun bled into my eyes and I rubbed them as I stepped down from the cave and onto the path. It wasn’t too early and there were no people I could see, but I still slipped behind a tree. I fingered through my hair and inhaled deeply to get my bearings.

I whirled around when I smelled the spicy scent of my mate, expecting him to be at the mouth of the cave.

But—what? Where is he? I thought quizzically. I looked around again, waiting to see him, but he never showed up. I tiptoed over the pine needles to the cave and inhaled deeply. He was definitely still in our little corner.

I walked away, fiercely upset. I hurried twenty paces away and sniffed again. There was little scent of my sweet pea and pomegranate smell, and even more of Theo’s Red Hots aroma.

Where are you?

 I shrieked and clapped my palm over my mouth. He was—he was in my mind! How--?

My eyes flickered to the cave when I saw him emerging. When he found me, he ran his hand through his shock of hair, which didn’t look any different than when he was awake and dressed properly. His eyes were half-open and he walked slowly, out of sync with his body.

“Hi,” he said cautiously, not meeting my eyes.

“Did—Did—Did you just—”

“Oh. Uh . . . yeah.”

“Th-Theo! How did you—”

“I um . . .”

My heart was racing and even his muscular chest couldn’t distract me. How had he gotten into my mind? That wasn’t normal! So yeah, I could remember a wolf answering mine in my head, but he spoke in my head like he was right beside me. It was crystal-clear, like he’d spoken directly into my ear.

“You were shivering and I . . . I kinda . . .”

“What!” All my life, I’d been isolated and alone and perfectly happy with only two voices. Three—that was enough! My head was my space and the fact that someone else penetrated it scared the daylights out of me. I was losing patience.