Chapter 13: Arming for War

I was stone-cold on the way back to the pack house. I walked with indignation, wrath fueling my every step.

Hey, he said, nudging me with his shoulder. Are you okay?

I need Raylor. I want to go home. I said back, not looking at him. I needed to start formulating a plan to get the Alpha alone in order to get his ring. Or better yet, snatch his ring when they were separated. I wasn't stupid-I knew the ring possessed enormous power. I could feel it from here, yards from Roan. It swelled in the air like an entire beast of itself, crushing me, a pathetic rogue.

"Sigrid," Raylor said, running to me. Her hand stroked the topside of my head, but I ignored her. I needed clothes and I needed to go home. I had to see if my family was alright! "C'mon, I'll get you some clothes."

She led me inside and within five minutes, I was draped in a violet sweater and skinny jeans. My wounds on my neck were starting to heal, but I could've cared less.

"Sigrid, wait," Raylor said when I tried to leave her room. I stopped and turned to face her. Nothing could touch me now. I was above petty arguments and stupid Alphas and their pride. I was drowning in flames, my entire world doused with gasoline. "Listen, don't worry about Grace. We'll find her." She put her hand on my shoulder and I nodded.

"Thanks." My voice was toneless and I shook her hand off as I left her room.

Ready? Theo called in my mind.

Yes.

I'm in the driveway.

He didn't need to tell me. I could smell the gasoline pumping through the engine of his car and I could hear it from Raylor's room. I descended the stairs with a slow urgency, my mind spinning at a thousand miles a minute. Marshall had the balls to kidnap Grace, but to threaten my family? That crossed the line. I'd fight him tooth and nail for what was mine and mine alone. He didn't deserve to touch my family-he'd already controlled my entire life! Our entire life! Every time we'd moved was a result of him! I wasn't going to stand for his stupid threats about his stupid ring and my family!

"Sigrid, stop."

I looked up slowly to who was speaking to me. Tobias' father loomed over me, his blue eyes shimmering. "Don't you even think for one minute you can get Grace alone. We're sending scouts as we speak and--"

My blood boiled and suddenly, I snapped, my eyes narrowing. "Don't treat me like a pack member. I'm not and you made that very clear earlier." He couldn't just flip a switch and support me! He was a hypocrite and I'd had enough promises to last a lifetime.

Roan sucked in a breath and recoiled as I stormed past him. I thought he was going to try and retort, but he didn't. I could hear his blood gushing through his veins in anger, but I ignored him. I was on my own mission; I didn't care what he and Raylor said. I was determined to rescue Grace, protect my family, and destroy Marshall Kingston. There was no way Sunshade scouts would be able to locate Grace; I knew that. I'd seen the Hex myself. And if what Theo had told me was true, I was the only one able to work past them.

The ride home was quiet, tendrils of pressure oozing out from every pore of our bodies, filling the air with pressure that would surely suffocate us both. I sat in his car with my hands fisted in my lap. I was a galaxy of war with swords for teeth and death on my tongue. Marshall Kingston would not survive messing with me.

As I was about to exit his car at my house, his hand whipped out and landed on my knee. "Sigrid, hold on."

I slunk back into the cotton seat, fire burning in my chest. My wolf's anger fizzled out when Theo touched me, but I was still seeing red. "What?" I asked, surprised when my tone was sharp.