Chapter 15: The Kiss of Frostbite {end}

Five months later . . .

...

"I am so sick of the snow," Theo grumbled as we walked around town holding hands. He kicked a piece of the March sludge off of the sidewalk.

"You don't know what snow is," I said. "We lived in Minnesota one time during the winter. This is nothing."

"But still."

"It's not like you don't have excess body heat to begin with," I pointed out as we passed The Groove. "Besides, you're the one who refused to wear a hat and gloves."

"Yes, mother, you're right," he mocked and avoided an icy patch on the sidewalk.

I giggled, watching where my feet stepped. For four months now, Theo and I had been an official couple. He knew I was still grieving when he asked me, so he took me out to dinner at a fancy restaurant. He'd nearly had a fit when we had to wait ten minutes for a table.

"Theo, it's fine," I said, glancing around the posh eating establishment. "It's totally okay." The lighting was dim, but expensive pieces of art decorated the walls, lit by individual lamps. The waiters and waitresses bustled by in daringly white button-ups and coal black ties.

He huffed and looked down at me, frowning.

"Haven't you ever waited before?" I asked, raising my eyebrows.

"Yes," he muttered.

I patted his shoulder reassuringly. "It's fine, Theo."

Twenty minutes later, we'd been seated for a few minutes and had ordered our food. I'd gotten this pasta that Theo had to pronounce for me and water. He'd gotten steak and some vegetables.

I sipped some of my water when he scratched the back of his neck nervously. "So, uh . . . how are you?"

I raised my eyebrows at him. "I'm okay, I guess. And yourself?"

"I'm fine. I was wondering . . ."

I raised my eyebrows at him. "Wondering what?"

He took a breath and looked me dead in the eyes. "You . . . do you want . . I was just wondering if you'd like to be girlfriend?"

My cheeks flushed in the dim lighting and I looked at my lap. This was why he'd treated me to such a fancy dinner. "I sort of thought we were already going out. Y'know . .. because of the mate thing."

He licked his lips nervously. "Well I know how you are about the consent thing, so I just wanted to ask."

My heart fluttered in my chest. He was really thoughtful, wasn't he? But then again, the last time he'd done something without my permission, it had not ended well. But he was being too sweet.

"Of course," I said and his jade eyes brightened vibrantly.

"Awesome," he said, grinning.

"Wanna go see a movie tonight?" he asked me, whisking me back to the chilly March air. He swung our hands back and forth and my heart swelled, almost too big for my chest.

"I can't; I have dinner with my family tonight," I explained and pulled out my phone. "I should probably be going anyways."

We walked back to our cars and I leaned against my red Camry, Theo towering above me, fiddling with his keys.

"I'll talk to you later, yeah?" he asked.

"Okay," I replied, smiling as his lips descended on top of mine. His kiss tasted as fiery as his smell and I don't think I'd ever get tired of his kisses. His lips were soft and every time he kissed me, I was breathless. We pulled away after a minute and I could hear his heartbeat racing, keeping time with my own. "Bye, Theo," I said softly as I opened my car door.