Chapter 6: Just a Picnic

The little brown pup squirmed underneath me and yipped. She was trembling and seemed desperate to get away. My tongue licked her little face and she gazed up at me with golden brown eyes. She made little whimpers and sniffed.

I sighed and shifted back to my human form, leaning towards her on my knees, holding out my arms. "See? I'm not going to hurt you." I tried to ignore the fact that I was stark naked and any werewolf, let alone Marshall Kingston, could see me, but I shoved it down my throat as my fingers went out towards the werewolf. She shied away from me, so I said, "Come here, sweetie. I'm not gonna hurt you." I knew she was a werewolf, so she must've understood me.

She inched forward and nuzzled her face in my face. I wrapped my hands around the small pup and cradled her to my chest. I breathed in her fur. She smelled like Marshall.

I still couldn't get my head around it. The one and only werewolf who'd turned me nine years ago was my uncle's boss! And he specialized in killing his own kind! I thought my uncle was sick, but this . . . this was horrific. This was repulsive and what kind of monster would do that!

I snuggled the little pup closer. Her little wet nose trailed up my neck and she licked the underside of my jaw. I smiled and kissed the top of her head. "I'm gonna keep you safe, okay?" I said, looking into her eyes. "I know these people who will love to meet you." They were all I had. I couldn't take care of this little werewolf, and they had an entire pack! As much as I resented the idea of presenting myself before them, I had to do it for her good.

She nosed my throat as a way to say "Okay."

"I have to change back. Follow me, alright? I'll be right beside you." I waited until she whimpered in agreement before morphing back to my wolf. I nudged her with my nose and she started walking beside me, her head bent low and her tail between her legs. I spotted a stick up ahead. I dashed forward and grabbed it, turning around in a playful position.

She froze, but after a moment of hesitation, she leapt forward and grabbed the stick, trying to take it from me. I gave a valiant effort, one that of a puppy, and I let her have it. She began trotting around with it in her mouth, head a little higher.

I barked and she started walking beside me. I jumped towards her and she leaped away in protection of the stick and when she returned, I licked the side of her head. We walked like that until we reached my pile of clothes and I for once, I was thankful I'd chosen to wear a tank top under my shirt. I grabbed my t-shirt and dragged it over to her feet as a way to say this is for you. I stared at her until she took it and went behind a tree before I grabbed the remainder of my clothes and shifted back.

I hurriedly changed, tugging on all my articles of clothing before saying, "You ready?" She hadn't made a sound.

There was a shuffle and then a heart-shattering cry. My bones echoed with the brokenness of the sound. After a moment, she came back around the tree trunk shyly, walking pigeon-toed.

She had jaw-length, brown, silky hair that fell in perfect ringlets--even as it was a little mussed. Her brown eyes gave her a sad puppy-dog look and she had a natural pout with a thick bottom lip. She must've been eight or nine. Her shaky limbs protruded from the t-shirt and she trembled as she approached me.

I took a breath and kneeled down to her level as she stood in front of me, eyes to the ground. "I'm Sigrid," I said softly.

"I'm Gr-Grace," she said, her eyes flicking around like candles. Her voice was high and her lip trembled.

"Well, Grace, I'm gonna take care of you," I said, "I promise." I offered her a smile, but she didn't return it. My eyes went to my bike under the bush, but I didn't have the spokes that she could stand on--and I didn't think she was stable enough to even if I did have them. I'd have to do this the old-fashioned way. I cocked my head playfully. "Would you like a piggyback ride?"