Chapter 12: Ready Fire Aim

The Beta's words echoed in my head, she's dead she's dead she's dead. Dead as in never to be seen again. Never reincarnated, in purgatory, all of that dead-and-gone stuff. My breath caught in my chest as I pounded through the woods on my paws, the ground flying beneath me. The minute after the Beta had dropped the bomb, Theo had taken off and I, instinctively and driven by compassion, had followed him.

Now I could see the advantage of the mark. Even though the sharp, cold wind whistled past my ears and flattened out my fur, I could smell Theo as if he were just a step ahead of me. His pungent odor overwhelmed my nose and controlled my wolf to follow him. My tongue lolled out as I drew nearer and nearer to the pack house. The last time I'd been here, the message had been clear-don't come back. Raylor and Tobias and Kyler and Drace and Sasha didn't trust me, not to mention the Luna and Alpha. The only werewolf who did was Grace. And now I had lost track of her.

A knife drove itself into my lungs and I struggled for breath. Last night had been the epitome of happiness for me and my wolf. Lying there, cradled in Theo's arms . . . and even though he had marked me without my permission, he'd had good intentions.

That doesn't make it right! I thought.

M wolf growled at her and my eyes swept the forest where Theo had raced through moments before. There was a little more undergrowth here, and a biting wind was filtering through the leaves. I could hear the panting of a scout beside me, and I could guarantee they weren't too thrilled about anything going on. I met eyes with them the next moment, for we both broke the treeline and were barreling towards the creamy house.

I skidded to a halt before the porch steps and I cowered back, my head and ears flat from the sight in front of me. Alpha Roan stood at the top of the porch, his arms crossed, his eyes bloodshot, his presence commanding attention. I could smell Theo's aura inside the house and I retained a whine from wanting to see him.

"Vick, grab her," he said gruffly and I yowled as someone's teeth clamped down on the back of my neck. I thrashed under their grip, but the Alpha spoke again. "ENOUGH, Sigrid. It's time we had a talk and you don't get a choice."

My heart was kicking wildly in my chest and I was fairly sure my chest would explode from the tension and nerves running through my veins. The Alpha's broad back faced me and a human hand clasped the back of my neck.

"Raylor, bring the collar," said a strong male voice. Vick, I guess.

But Raylor! Sparks were going off in rage inside my mind. Raylor! The person I thought was my friend! I suppose I never should've thought that due to the discussion at the library so long ago, but I'd had a delusional hope. Now, I smelled her scent as she approached and looped a chain collar around my head and tightened it around my throat.

"Sorry, girl, but you've got us running in circles," she said and I growled lowly. She tugged the cold collar and my head jerked upward.

I hate you, I thought. I hate you. IhateyouIhateyouIhateyou! This was why I never wanted to make friends here! Granted, I'd never been in this particular position before, but it royally sucked. I'd have given my right arm to get out of here. Raylor was leading me up the stairs and I ducked my head as I passed over the threshold.

Theo's hot aroma stifled my nose and my neck burned. Theo! I yelled through our mind link. Did you tell them! I shouted and screamed and even mentally beat my fists against the dark, but to no avail. There was no response and I felt isolated, like he was unreachable.

I swore mentally. The cream of the walls was bearing down on me and I couldn't see the tops. I felt like I was in a box as we ascended the stairs and when Raylor abruptly turned, my face smashed into a steel door. A whine escaped my lips my snout burned, like it'd been set on fire.