Chapter 14: A Midnight Affair

I reentered the kitchen donned in cotton shorts and a loose t-shirt with snowflakes on it. I kept my bra on-I felt weird without it in the presence of boys. I hurriedly went to the couch opposite Tobias and Raylor, where they were probably talking through the link, and Theo was on my right. I tucked my legs underneath me and started watching the reruns of some television show they'd all watched when they were younger.

However, I could hear Theo's heartbeat canter suddenly. I gave him a side glance and I saw his face was pink. His mouth was open a little bit and his eyes were fixed on my legs. I ran a lot, okay?

"You'll catch flies," I hissed at him, my face scorching. I saw him jerk back at my words and his eyes fix on the gorgeous window drapes. Raylor must've changed, too, for she was decked out in shorts as well and a v-necked cotton blouse.

My wolf yowled in delight at Theo's response. If my legs alone had this effect on him, she wanted to wear shorts every day. I, however, felt like I had exposed too much. It was already past nine on a school night. Wasn't it time for bed or something? Mercifully, we'd gotten only a little homework-nothing we couldn't finish in the morning before school-but I was antsy. The sooner we got to bed, the sooner I could sneak out. My fingers itched to make sure the ring was still in the bottom of my bag, but I knew that none of them knew I had it. They'd never think to guess.

We ended up watching Back to the Future since we didn't really know what else to do and halfway through the movie, I jumped at Theo's voice in my head. I didn't think I'd ever get used to that.

Sigrid, he said, nearly putting me into cardiac arrest.

I glanced over at him and mouthed 'what?'.

He gestured to the spot on the couch beside him. C'mere.

I swallowed hard. My mind went to that night in the cave, and the temptation almost became too much. But then I remembered that I couldn't attach myself to anyone tonight. I couldn't try to stay awake whilst in his arms. I knew it was impossible. I'm good, I told him and he frowned. Thanks, though.

After the movie, it was about eleven thirty, but Raylor was still wide awake. "Tobias, we have to watch the second one."

"Gaaah, Raylor. I'm so tired."

"Fine," she said, taking the controller from his hand and shrugged. "Sleep. I'm watching it anyways. What about you, Sigrid?"

I blinked multiple times. My fatigue was starting to poison my energy, but I had to stay awake. This dark room was drugging me to sleep and I had to get out. "No, I think I'll go do some homework," I said.

She pinched her face. "Seriously?" I nodded, getting up from the couch and feeling Theo's eyes drip down from my face and onto my legs. "Okay. There's a light switch on the wall for just the island light, if you want."

"Thanks," I replied, grabbing my backpack and toting it into the kitchen. Before I started my homework, I fixed myself a large glass of water and settled down for keeping myself awake.

On the bar stool, my butt was so uncomfortable it made it nearly impossible to fall asleep. That worked to my advantage and I managed to stay alert also by rubbing my eyes every five minutes and groggily fixing myself more water. More water meant more peeing and more trips to the restroom meant more movement which kept me awake. But every ten minutes, even as I finished my pre-calc worksheet and my French, I put my head down on the counter to take a quick power-nap.

"Goodness gracious," I muttered a few minutes later, pulling my head up from my arms. Everything was blurry and the light above me glaringly burned my eyes. The window was pitch-black and I could barely move my arms, they were so stiff. I squinched my eyes together to try and clear them and leaned back to stretch, releasing an almighty yawn in the process. My math homework was below me, nearly complete and I picked up my pencil. What time was is anyways? I rubbed my eyes again and peered at the clock over the stove.