Prologue

Let's go below zero
And hide from the sun~

I can still remember the year I stopped believing in Santa Claus.

I was only eight years old.

My parents were getting divorced that year, much to my dismay. Since the holiday season was rolling around dad took me to the local department store to see Santa; he knew I needed a distraction. When the white-bearded man asked me what I wanted for Christmas, the only thing I requested was that my parents would get back together.

Everyone in the store turned to face us with mixed expressions on their faces. Some looked shocked, others were amused, and some gave me pitiful looks. I remember the nervous laugh my dad let out as he quickly escorted me out of the store.

I'll love you forever
Where we'll have some fun~

A fresh blanket of snow covered the earth when I awoke on Christmas morning. I happily ran down the stairs into the living room expecting a picture-perfect scene.

Mom and dad would be snuggled close on the couch next to the Christmas tree the way they had before they began to fight. Perfectly wrapped gifts with red and green bows would be neatly placed underneath the glimmering tree. My baby brother, Charlie would still be asleep in his room, so I'd get my parents all to myself for a couple of hours.

That's not what was waiting for me.

This year, only my dad sat on the couch, smiling at me as I entered the room. I plastered a grin onto my face, not wanting to make him feel bad.

Yes, let's hit the North Pole
And live happily~

I had gotten everything that I put on my wish list.

Every heartfelt thing I wrote.

Except one.

A complete family.

That year I realized three things:

1. There was no Santa Claus
2. Real life doesn't always have a happy ending
3. Dreams don't come true

I believed that for the next eight years.

Please don't cry no tears now,
It's Christmas baby~

Until someone taught me how to believe again.