Epilogue

~•15 Years Later•~

"Mama! Mama!"

I look up from the magic reports I've been working on to see a familiar little boy burst through the front door, a smile as bright as the Christmas star on his lips. As he enters our cottage, he quickly begins peeling off his winter ensemble of snow pants, a bright green coat, hat, scarf, and snow boots. I chuckle to myself as the boy gets his gloved hands stuck in the sleeves of his coat, and begins flapping his arms in an attempt to wiggle his hands free. I stand up and walk over to him. "Let me help you, Nicky," I say, freeing his hands. "Now, what's got you so excited? Where's daddy?"

As if on cue, Bernard enters the cottage and stomps his snowy elf shoes on the doormat. He glances at the boy in front of me and shakes his head. I know my husband isn't actually upset, as evidenced by the grin on his lips. "You just couldn't wait, could'ya?" He walks over to the two of us, gently kisses my sparkly cheek, and ruffles the little boy's golden blonde curls. "You were too excited to show Mama what you found, huh?"

"Show me what?" I inquire, my (ec) eyes darting between the two.

A cheeky smile spreads across Nicky's lips as he reaches into his pocket and pulls a small object out. "Close your eyes and hold out your hand, please." He requests.

I raise an eyebrow at him but do as I'm told. I suddenly feel something small and wooden placed in my palm. "Can I open my eyes, yet?"

"Yes!"

My eyelids flutter open and I see a little wooden heart in my palm. Smooth as an icicle, the heart has been sanded perfectly, and painted with a bright coat of (fc). "Aww, Nicky, it's beautiful!" I gush. I don't even need to wonder where I'll put it, as I already know. I will keep it in my pocket, always.

"Ya like it?" He quickly checks, examining my face. "Daddy helped me make it when he took me to the workshop today. He only helped a little, though!"

"Oh did he now?" I steal a glance at my husband, who winks at me. I know Bernard did most of the work, as it isn't wise to give a six-year-old access to dangerous tools, but I also don't want to make my son upset. "Well, Nicky, I love your gift. It was very thoughtful."

The little boy beams with pure joy and I smile. I wrap my arms around him, pulling him into a tight hug. I then feel another set of arms wrap around me and Nicky, and I realize that it's my husband. We bask in each other's company, and my heart feels full as I think about how far our little family has come.

Since the Escape Clause fiasco, life at the Pole had been perfectly normal. Well, as normal as being a magical Christmas elf and the mage of the North Pole could be.

As I've grown to realize, change is inevitable. It's a lesson everyone learns sooner or later. And I think it's safe to say that a lot can change in fifteen years. Even though people often associate change with bad things, time has taught me that change brings more good than harm.

For example, my two younger step-siblings, Cal and Sandra. After Mom and Dad's divorce, I never thought I would have any siblings other than Charlie. Now, however, I get to call Charlie, Lucy, Cal, and Sandra my siblings, and although I wasn't expecting it, I wouldn't trade them for anything. I don't see Lucy and Charlie as much anymore, as time has turned them into adults. Thankfully, they both evaded losing their belief in Christmas Magic. I do, however, see Dad and Carol's children, Cal and Sandra all the time. I've loved watching them grow over the years.

My magic has also changed. Ever since I came to the North Pole, my powers had only grown stronger. Because of this, I was able to protect my home better than ever. No threats had even entered the North Pole since Jack Frost.

Thankfully, some things hadn't changed with time. Such as my dad, who was still the best Santa the world had ever seen. Every year, time and time again, he proved he was more than deserving of that red coat.

Another constant in my life was Bernard. We had been married for almost twenty years now, and we still loved each other more than anything. Like any couple, we've had our fair share of arguments and disagreements, but those have only made us stronger in the long run. We were still hopelessly in love with each other, and I couldn't even imagine a world without my lover in it. I had no regrets.

We did, however, begin to long for a family of our own. All that we wanted was to spread joy to not only the children of the world but children of our own. Hence we welcomed the biggest change in our lives six years ago.

Our son, Nicholas, aka Nicky.

A little more than half a decade ago, Bernard and I were celebrating Christmas Eve as we always had: by snugging under fuzzy blankets while sipping sparkling cider. It was one of those nights where "not a creature was stirring." Well...until it wasn't.

When my dad returned from his rounds the next morning, Bernard and I met him in the reindeer stables as we and every other elf always did. We were greeted by a wide-eyed Santa, who quickly pulled us to the side right as his sleigh hit the ground. As he stared at us, I instantly knew something big was on his mind.

I felt Bernard place a hand on my shoulder as he asked his father-in-law what the matter was.

Slowly, Santa revealed a small bundle of fabric that I hadn't realized he was holding. He sleepy pulled back some of the green cloth to reveal a rosy-cheeked, brown-eyed baby.

"Dad...where'd you get a baby?" I questioned.

"While I was flying over New York, I heard this little guy crying in an alleyway. Someone had left him to the cold...I couldn't just leave him behind." He explained, looking down at the baby in his arms.

My heart broke for the child. How could someone do something so cruel?

"I know how much you two wanted to start a family, so I guess what I'm asking is if you'd want to take the little guy under your care?"

Bernard glanced at me, a hopeful twinkle in his eye that I instantly knew was asking me for permission. "What do you say, Snow Angel?"

As tears filled my eyes, I only had the strength to speak one word. "Yes."

And that's how at long last, Bernard and I finally were able to start our family. Parenting hasn't been easy by any stretch of the imagination, but neither one of us would trade our little family for anything.

As we hold our son in our arms, I steal a glance at the love of my life, only to find him looking at me, nothing but love in his beautiful brown eyes.

The smile I give him is brighter than the sun. I love you, I mouth to him.

I love you too.

Merry Christmas everyone!! I hope you all have an amazing holiday! I wanted to thank you all for your endless support, hence this bonus chapter! This story has gained more than double the readers it had since I finished this story back in January, so I wanted to do something special for my readers, new and old.

Winter Dream is my favorite story I've written on this app, and I really wanted to give you guys a glimpse into Bernard and (Yn)'s future. I had so much fun revisiting this book and writing about them again. It was  a great little dose of nostalgia :)
I'm so thankful that you all encouraged me every step of the way. You are seriously the nicest people, and I'm so grateful for each and every one of you.

Thanks again, and have the merriest of Merry Christmases!!

-Emma