Chapter 1- Hot Cocoa

I sighed as I plopped a couple of marshmallows into the mug of creamy hot chocolate. I watched the fluffy balls of sugar disappear beneath the cocoa before resurfacing.

I slowly made my way out of the kitchen and into the living room, where my eight-year-old brother, Charlie was sitting on the couch. His brown eyes were gazing at our sad excuse for a Christmas tree, probably wishing he could spend Christmas with my mom and Neal instead of my dad and me.

I sat down next to him and gave him a sympathetic smile as I handed him the cocoa.

"Thanks." He softly spoke, taking a slow sip of the drink.

I slowly stood back up and walked into the main hall, where my mom was pacing back and forth while talking on the phone.

"Scott, where are you?"

I frowned as I leaned against the doorframe. I wasn't surprised that my father was late. After all, he always was; work came first. Since my dad had custody over me, I lived with him. He always came home from work late, often leaving me alone for long periods of time. Just because I wasn't surprised by it, it didn't mean that I wasn't disappointed. It was still Christmas Eve. He wasn't even working tonight. I bet he's at that stupid office Christmas Party, right now...instead of spending time with his kids. I thought spitefully.

As mom ended the call, she sighed. She slipped the phone into her pocket as she looked at me. "I'm sorry, (yn). I know that you had plans with Drake tonight. I can watch Charlie until your dad gets here if you want to go meet up with him."

I didn't meet my mom's gaze. I tried to force the tears that were threatening to escape my eyes back as I swallowed the lump in my throat. "I can stay here and wait. I won't be going over to Drake's house tonight...or ever again for that matter. He...he broke up with me yesterday." I confessed.

Mom gave me a sympathetic look. "Oh, honey...I'm so sorry." She walked over to me and pulled me into a hug; I stood there limply, not hugging her back.

I felt numb to it all.

I loved Drake and I thought he loved me. But then yesterday he called me and told me that it "just wasn't working." And that he "needed time for himself." I found out what a load of crap that was earlier today when I discovered he was already in a new relationship with one of the most popular girls in school.

It turns out that I just wasn't good enough.

So he left.

Why does everyone always leave?

I sighed as I pulled out of mom's embrace. "Thanks, but I'm okay. Really."

"Are you sure? You know you can talk to me-"

I cut her off. "I'm sure. It wasn't a big deal; I didn't even like him that much."

Mom nodded. I could tell she felt awkward. "I'm going to go check on Neal." She announced after a few moments.

I gave her a weak smile as she went back outside and made my way back into our living room. Charlie was still seated on our black leather couch in the same position he was in when I left the room. The only thing different about the scene was that he had now finished his hot chocolate.

He stared at me with his big brown eyes, as though he was expecting me to say something.

"So..." I began, trying to think of something to say. "Are you excited for Santa to come tonight?"

Charlie shook his head. "Santa isn't real."

I looked at him with wide eyes. "What are you talking about? Santa's totally real."