Chapter 5- Late Night Anxieties

As Bernard lead me down one of the many hallways that lead out of the workshop, I found myself reading the different labels that were written in curly letters on the stained glass above the doors. It seemed like there was a room for just about everything. "'Effective Liberating Flight Squad?' What's that?" I asked, reading one of the doors.

"Oh, the E.L.F.S?" Bernard looked back at me and smiled. "That's our special task force. They're the first ones we send out if anything goes wrong with the Christmas Eve deliveries. They're specially trained elves who can get Santa out of any sort of trouble."

"How often does Santa get in trouble?" I asked, feeling slightly amused.

"You'd be surprised..." Bernard said, shaking his head with a slight grin. "Ah, here we are!" Bernard exclaimed as we reached a set of doors. He opened the door and swung it open, stepping to the side so I could enter the room.

I slowly walk in and marveled at the bedroom. The room was at least five times bigger than my room at home. Ornate red rungs decorated the white marble flooring, and tapestries hung on the light beige wall. The beautiful stone fireplace with snowflakes carved into the side was already lit, and a plush loveseat rested next to it. A small balcony with a view of the entire North pole was located on the far side of the room, next to a brown wooden desk. The massive wooden wardrobe next to it matched all of the other furniture in the room. In the center of it all, was a large canopy bed, piled with pillows and blankets-all red of course. My jaw was practically touching the floor, I was so in awe. Just when I thought this place couldn't be more magical, it proved me mistaken once again.

Bernard walked up from behind me. "Do you like it?"

"Do 'I like it?'" I asked. "Are you kidding? This room was made for royalty! Are you sure that I can stay here?"

"Well, it's your room." Bernard simply says. "Of course, you can stay here."

Without thinking, I threw my arms around the elf, practically knocking him over in the process. "Thank you so much, Bernard!" I exclaimed.

Bernard gasped at the sudden contact but quickly hugged me back. "Y-You're welcome..."

I rested my head on his shoulder for a brief moment. He smelled like fresh-baked gingerbread. I loved it. As we parted, Bernard's cheeks were a light shade of pink. "W-well...there should be some nightclothes in the wardrobe if you'd like to change. If you need anything, feel free to ask me."

I nodded. "Thanks!"

As Bernard headed for the door, I quickly called out to him. He looked over his shoulder back at me, and I smiled. "Thank you for all of your help."

Bernard gently smiled. "It's my pleasure, (Yn)."

As the stained-glass door shut, I stood in my room for a moment and admired it. I slowly walked to the wardrobe and opened it. Several old-fashioned nightgowns of different colors were hung up inside. I reached my hand out and gently stroked the soft silk fabric. I carefully picked up an (fc) nightgown, afraid that if I took it too roughly, I would damage the beautiful material. I walked into the attached bathroom and changed into the nightgown and made my way back into the bedroom.

I slowly climbed into the bed in the center of the room and drifted off into a peaceful sleep.

:-:-:-:-:

My eyelids fluttered open, and I slowly sat up in bed. I glanced around the elaborate bedroom. Silver rays of night peeked in through the windows, casting a white glow onto the room, and I realized that it must have still been night. My stomach released a low grumble. "I wonder where the kitchen is?" I pondered. I slowly crawled out of bed and walked to the wardrobe. I pulled out a white silk night robe and slipped it on overtop of my nightgown. As I left my room, I tightened the sash around my waist.