42

Minho grew increasingly worried as he couldn't find Felix anywhere around the apartment complex. He had thought he would've found the younger hybrid by now but the other was nowhere to be seen. At Chan's apartment, Jisung could sense Minho's growing distress and glanced over at Changbin, whose hands were still trembling. He contemplated whether the older rapper could feel his mate's distress too. Chan tried to call the younger but heard his phone ring from the kitchen counter, where he had left it when serving the cookies and brownies. Changbin watched Jisung anxiously as he dialed Minho's number to check in with the older. He hoped Minho was fine but right now it didn't feel like it. "Did he return?", the hybrid asked breathlessly when he picked up his ringing phone. Biting his lip, Jisung admitted: "No but I felt like something was wrong on your side. I assume you haven't found him yet?" - "No, I haven't", Minho sighed, "I knew he was fast but this fast.... I don't even know in which direction he could've gone."

Changbin shot Jisung a questioning look, the younger shaking his head. While Jisung kept talking to Minho, the other rapper got to his feet, rushing to the front door and putting on his shoes. He had this awful feeling and he would certainly not sit around and wait for someone else to find Felix. "There's a park not that far from here", Chan hummed, when Jisung asked him if he had any idea where his cousin could've gone, "Going for walks there always helps me clear my head and I took Felix there occasionally too." Hyunjin was quick to follow Changbin. He knew what park Chan was talking about and none of them should be out alone at night. Seeing their friends leave, Chan and Jisung rushed to put on their shoes and follow them. Jisung had told Minho about the park, Chan expected Felix to have gone to and the hybrid promised he'd go and check there as fast as possible. As the four jogged towards the park, Jisung heard Minho curse on the other side of the line. "I- I still have no idea where he is but here's blood", the hybrid informed shakily. Tiny specks of blood leading through the park and towards a bench, where there was a bit more blood. It wasn't much and he doubted that anyone without his hybrid night-vision could've spotted it but still it was concerning. There was also a tiny trail of blood leading away from the bench and Minho started to sprint, following the tiny red spots dotting the ground. Soon the call cut off.

Felix tiredly slouched on the small couch in Seungmin's dorm, the puppy hybrid carefully cleaning his wounds and patching them up. Jeongin set about making tea for the three of them and brought Felix a box of tissues while he waited for the tea to steep. The Aussie didn't have anymore tears left and barely even flinched when the alcohol wipe touched his scraped skin. "Do you want to tell us what happened that had you running around on your own", Seungmin asked gently, wrapping a loose bandage around Felix hand and wrist to cover his bloody palm. The other's voice was hoarse form crying and running through the cold and he had to clear his throat a few times before he was able to speak, quietly admitting: "I played truth or dare with my friends and cousin. One of them was who I thought was my mate and I didn't want to seem like a coward, so I chose dare. They had me blindfolded and be kissed by one of them. I thought it'd be easy because I could smell them but somehow, I couldn't. It felt like a static buzz when our lips touched and I thought it was my crush. When I removed the blindfold, it was my cousin."

Both, Seungmin and Jeongin looked at the boy in shock, now understanding what had him so spooked. The youngest handed him a steaming cup of tea, while Seungmin tidied up the first aid kit and finally allowed his ears to pop out, musing: "I didn't think it was possible to be mates with a relative." - "That's why I'm so confused", Felix whimpered, "And I felt so certain about Changbin. I've never felt that way towards anyone before." Looking up at Seungmin, he revealed his ears too, relieved that it eased the headache at least a little. Seungmin didn't want to mention his suspicion that maybe Felix and his cousin weren't related.

He didn't get the chance to anyway as there was a frantic knock at the door. Jeongin stayed with Felix, hugging the Aussie, while Seungmin quickly hid his ears and went to check who was there this late. He was more than surprised to find Minho, sweaty and out of breath, his eyes wide with panic. "Have yo- Have you seen Fe- Felix?", he panted, bracing his arm against the doorframe. Seungmin looked over his shoulder and saw Felix' ears twitch nervously at the familiar noise. Giving Minho a scrutinizing look, Seungmin frowned: "Why are you here?" - "Because I'm looking for my friend", the older pressed, "We were all looking for him and I found some blood in the park. I followed the trail here. Have you seen him?" Seungmin decided, Minho's worry was genuine, and stepped back to let the other into the apartment. The older kicked off his shoes by the front door and followed Seungmin into the apartment, heart still pounding from his run.

Felix curled up into Jeongin's side, doing his best to hide himself despite knowing Minho only wanted to help. He didn't want to face the reality and Minho reminded him of all the problems waiting for him back with his friend group. "Thank god you're here", the older sighed, plopping down on the floor in front of Felix, "We were looking for you, Lix. I'm sorry we scared you but it was only a prank." The Aussie paled, not understanding what his friend was hinting at, so Minho continued: "Chan didn't kiss you. Changbin did and they quickly switched places to see your reaction. We had planned to clear everything up right afterwards but you were already gone." - "Y-You mean- you mean Changbin is my mate?", Felix stammered, almost tearing up again from the relief he felt. Minho got back to his feet and pulled the younger into a hug, muttering: "I'm so, so sorry, Lix." Felix tightened his arms around his friend, choking back a sob and burying his face in the other's shoulder.

When the Aussie had calmed down a little, Minho pulled out his phone, remembering that the others were still looking for them. "Are you okay with going back? Our friends are still out looking for you", the older hummed, already dialing Jisung's number, "If not and you'd rather have some space, I can bring you home to your parents." Felix mumbled that it was okay and that he'd rather go back and clear things up, when Jisung picked up the call, slightly out of breath from hurrying around the park. "I found him", Minho stated bluntly, "Why don't you all go back to Chan's apartment and we'll join you in a bit." The rapper asked whether he was sure and glanced over at Changbin, who already seemed a lot calmer despite not having heard the news yet, so Felix was probably okay. Minho assured him that everything was alright and that they'd talk in a bit.

There was one thing though, that still made Minho wonder. Seungmin and Jeongin were younger than him and had no business being out that late. "How did you two even find him?", Minho asked, allowing Felix to lean into his side. The Aussie was exhausted from the ordeal and tiredly watched the other two for their reaction. Seungmin only blushed and remained quiet, so Jeongin answered teasingly: "We were playing tag at the park because someoooooone couldn't sleep." - "Inniiiiee", the older whined embarrassed, slapping his mate's arm but the boy only giggled.

"Thank you both for taking care of Felix", Minho smiled, reaching up to pet the Aussie's ears, "Let's get you back, hm? Can you hide those cute and fluffy ears for a bit?" Felix pouted a little but made his ears disappear. Still, he rubbed his head into Minho's hand and the older gently scratched his scalp, cooing: "How am I supposed to stop when you look at me like that? Don't do that to my heart please." The younger still pouted but sat up. "Let's go back to the others now", Minho chuckled, getting up, "Aren't you curious about Changbin's reaction to the whole situation? It's his duty to pet your ears, not mine." Felix couldn't help but blush furiously at that. Imagining what it'd feel like if the rapper petted his ears, made the Aussie's heart race and although he was nervous, he got up and thanked Seungmin and Jeongin for helping him out. The couple walked them to the door and said their goodbyes, finally tired out enough to go to bed and cuddle each other to sleep, while Minho wrapped a protective arm around his dongsaeng and guided him back. They were rather slow as Felix limped a little, the scraped skin on his knee stinging from the pull. The Aussie welcomed the extra time they took though as it gave him a chance of mentally preparing himself for the confrontation with his mate.