Chapter 7

I find Pamela's car parked on the street when I get home. I did not expect to see her anytime soon. Certainly not this soon anyway.

"What do you want, Pamela?"

"Where is Sally?" She asks as if she doesn't know.

"Where do you think?"

"I didn't mean to intrude. I was jealous. I am jealous."

"Too late. What do you want?"

"To talk."

"I'm listening. Talk."

"Can we go inside?"

I stare at her, trying to decipher the pros and cons of inviting her in. She said she was single. I am a hundred percent confident that she will try and make a move on me. I am not sure that is a wise thing to do, even though a part of me really wants to repeat what we had in that office. I am still licking my wounds from how things ended with us and how things just ended with Sally.

"Pamela, I like you. I never stopped liking you. I just tried to move on because I figured that door was closed. You lied to me, and frankly, you have some baggage with you. You are not sold on the idea of being with me. You are only here because you don't like the idea of me being with someone else."

"That is not true. Briar, I want you."

"I don't doubt that. But do you want to be with me?" She remains quiet for a minute too long.

"See what I mean? You want me to be your friend with benefits. And usually, I am cool with that. But your intentions aren't genuine."

"I wouldn't be here if I didn't want you!"

"Then why did you lie to me? I know you don't have a boyfriend. If you did, he would be in church, or I would have heard about him from one of your many friends."

"I like you. I like talking to you, and I enjoy having sex with you."

"You just deflected my question."

"I don't know why I lied."

"I do. You figured the lie was a way to let me down slowly. You enjoyed the thrill of us hooking up. Then you felt remorseful about it. After it ended, you wanted my attention again, but I had blocked you out. When you saw me with Sally, you decided to try and win me back. You want to own me. You like the idea of me being infatuated with you, and you're willing to sleep with me to keep me around."

"That is not true." Her voice breaks as she says this.

"Yes, it is. You are not the first girl to take me down this road. I am just mad at myself for falling for it again."

***