Chapter 5 - Dad.

I couldn't move, I heard the screams next door, I can't help... I need help. I screamed as loud as I could, feeling the blood in my mouth, I kept screaming until I heard the abuse stop. The door opened and I felt the need to curl into my stomach, I closed my eyes and heard a shattering noise, I looked to see Ametrine blocking him from me, her arm was cracking... I'm sorry... I can't speak.. why can't I speak.

       Maria was pulling up her bedsheets around her body, witnessing this she immediately called 911, Ametrine quickly knocked him out before helping me onto the bed, she took off my clothes and dragged her finger along the lashes, I shrieked and they were healed. She gave me a pair of jeans and a violet crop-top before disappearing out my window, just as fast as she arrived. 

      I quickly got dressed and led Maria outside, after putting her in some sweat pants and a hoodie, I held her outside until the police came. "I'm Sorry Maria... I know I should have left the caves, I didn't mean for it to pass to you..." I felt her tears on my neck as she nuzzled into my embrace, I held her tight.

      "Girls? oh... it's you..." The police officer said coming over to us, noticing the blood seeping through maria's wrists and waist area, and more crystal scars on me. "come on, I'll take you back to the station, we'll get you two some food and some new clothes." She motioned to get close to Maria.

      I stepped in front of her and held Maria to my back, "She stays. touch her and I will personally send you to hell." The police officer was taken aback at my sudden aggressiveness, then gently backed away, opening the car door and motioning for us to go inside.

      "lake... do I have to go?" The sweet 14-year-old asks, burying her face into my back.

      "Yes, It's okay Maria, they'll help us." I led her to the car and helped her inside, before getting in myself. I let my sister lay in my lap and rested my head against the window. Before I realized I was singing I let my voice fly through the air, Maria my only thought.

"Maria, Maria

My sweet starlight,

Maria, Maria

My sweet angel,

you shall sleep,

no fear no pain,

Maria, Maria,

This is my word to you,

Maria, Maria,

This is my promise to you,

Maria, Maria,

Maria."

      Our mother's Lullaby, I learned it while she was on her deathbed, Maria fell asleep cuddling to me. The police officer raised her eyebrow in the mirror while driving.

     "You have a pretty voice, and I don't know how much I'll be able to do for you. So, you can contact me when you feel comfortable." She smiled passing back a little note with her number. I smiled at her and watched the trees go by.