chapter 7 - Moonstone

I watched as Ametrine brought me some pancakes with strawberries and syrup, I didn't even try to question where she got it from. The answer was always vague or silent, I bit into it and smiled at the familiar comfort. I don't know how long we spent inside the cave, but I spent most of my time playing in the waterfall.

      "Lake?" The alien questioned sitting on her knees beside me, "Can I see the baby?" she asks gesturing slightly. I looked at her, and continued to eat my pancakes... why am I still here... why do I trust her? WHY DID I KISS HER? my thoughts swarmed my brain, swirling in organized chaos, I tried to think of a reply before just pulling her head into my lap, she laid her pointed ears against my stomach; her eyes lit up.

      "Our baby is a Moonstone..." she whispered kissing my forehead before darting out of the cave. I looked at her stunned... again another blank, no explanation. I'm tired of this. the secrets are too much. why is she so secretive? if she gets a secret... so do i.

      I walked beyond the waterfall, carefully stepping around the pool. I left the caves and wandered into the forest. The sun shone through the leaves casting a green hue on the forest floor and little creatures scurrying along the grass. The birds chattered and I heard the siren before I hid behind the tree. I sighed as it passed by before changing into an outfit I had stashed in the trees earlier.

       With a simple maternity dress and some leggings, I head my way down the road, listening to the chariot trot by and the cars zooming on the other side, South Carolina love's its history. No one quite knows why. I listened to the sounds of the forest and the angry rants of a lady about witnessing a girl screaming her heart out on the balcony from a lost lover. another girl was apologizing to her girlfriend about a fight they had, while a vendor in a black cloak whispered things... interesting things... I walked to the tent and the figure led me inside.

      "Hello, Baby," An old African-American woman said sitting down on a stool across a table I followed her hand and sat across, "I am Abigail, I am a practicing witch and you seem like you need a reading."

      "Thank you... but I'm not sure if I do." I whispered looking at the cards she placed on the round table, she gave a look of disappointment and looked into my eyes.

      "baby, you need a reading, you have crystals embedded in your skin, your roots are showing, you clearly are having a baby, and you are covered in bruises." She laid her hand on top of mine, "sweetheart, you need some clarity."

      She shuffled the cards, using them for a few minutes before handing the deck to me. I shuffled them too and put them on the table in front of her, she watched every move I made, it felt weird, but it was comforting. She pulled out the cards, one by one.

       "Death: you have encountered an unfamiliar situation that offered you a new opportunity to get yourself free from something." Her voice shook as she read them, understanding my reactions to her movements and little changes in her voice. "

      "Now for your future, you need to know not everything is set in stone.... but based on your current predicament I hope it's good Baby," She sighed, "The Tower: You need to expect one end, but there's another power at work. You have two endings, one where you punch a god... another where you're broken on the ground screaming for help."

       I looked at the card, horrified. "I... what...?" She gently laid her hand on top of mine and smiled softly. 

       "Either way... I think you'll be fine." She suddenly pulled a card out of a homemade deck. "You are carrying a Moonstone baby. This child is basically an Oracle, She's a good omen. But you... you are a half-breed yourself... your mother was an Opal."

      Her skin glistened, I could see the golden lines running along with her skin weaving into a delicate design, "I'm a Tiger's Eye, myself... now run along, baby... you don't want to keep Ametrine waiting."

       She ushered me out of her tent and I walked on, letting her gaze follow me. I kept moving, passing horse carriages, crystal shops, bookstores, boutiques, and restaurants. I still felt her eyes on me as I entered a park several blocks away. I sat on a swing set and looked at the nearby group of girls, dressed in outfits that scream '2001'.

       "I can't believe I'm the mother of a god." I'll think about it later.