27

[ Valentina's P.O.V ]

"Stop touching my hair Nate" I snap,

He drops the lock of hair that he had been teasingly twirling seconds before.

"Your no fun Val" he pouts mockingly,

"I'm not supposed to be fun I'm supposed to be superior".

He gives me a sarcastic salut "yes ma'am",
I lightly slap his shoulder "oh shut up".

"Cut it out you two I'm trying to focus"
Reece shouts from the kitchen, I turn to find him cooking away.

"Why are you doing?" I ask,

"He's trying out cooking as a new hobby" Nate replies instead.

Cooking? You don't even eat food.

"He needs a distraction" Nate states,

"Yes" I agree.

"Where's Lydia?"

"Yeah where is Lydia?" Jordan asks, silently emerging from his room.

I pause unsure whether or not I should tell them where she is.

"Valentina, where is Lydia?" Reece asks seriously, making his way out of the kitchen and taking a seat on the couch beside Nate.

"She's out" I state simply.

Jordan cocks his brow, "out where?",

Oh they'll find out sooner or later.

"She's on a date"

The boys go silent, Nate is the first to break the quiet, "with who?".

There it is, that's where I draw the line I'm not going to expose this Nick guy to his competitors quite yet.

"I don't think she mentioned a name",

Jordan curses under his breathe.

My eyes widen, Jordan Adams is no saint but he sure isn't one to openly swear. I glance to Nate and Reece and from the expressions on their faces the exact same thought is running through their minds.
"What's wrong?" Nate asks worriedly,

A pink toned blush starts to creep into his pale-freckled cheeks.
"I um-" he pauses and sends Reece a quick glance before looking back down to the floor, "I might've kissed her".

"Kissed who?" I ask bluntly, but the realization hits when I see my brother from the corner of my eye clench his fists silently into the couch and watch his canines extend.

"Just on the cheek" he adds quickly,

I watch Reece from the corner of my eye, his hold on the couch loosens but doesn't drop.

"Ouch bro" Nate murmurs,

"Shut up" Jordan hisses his canines extending.

"You kissed her and then she goes on a date with another guy within what ... A week?" Nate adds teasingly.

Jordan lets out a low growl "I said, Shut up" he replies coldly.

Oh brothers I think to myself.

"What time is it?" I ask trying to change the conversation,
Reece stiffly stands up and walks towards the clock

"10 pm" he states quietly.

"Okay thanks" I reply before standing up and walking to my room.

I shut the door behind me and turn the radio on to full volume so that they can't listen in,
I then pick up my phone and dial a number I'd taken off of Lydia's phone.

"Hello?" A voice answers, picking up on the second ring,
"Carter?"

"Yes?"

"Has Lydia come home yet?"

"Sorry but who is this?" He asks in protective, confusion.

"I'm Valentina Arsen, a friend of Lydia's",

"Reece's sister?" He asks

"Yes"

"She's still on her date"

"Oh okay, just checking in" I state,

"Is everything alright?"

"Yup just fine" and with that I hang up and walk back out into the living room.

Jordan's gone, Reece is back in the kitchen dramatically cooking away and Nate remains lazily on the couch exactly where he was moments before.

How do I ease into this conversation?

"Nate?"

"Yeah?"

"You and Reece have both told me countless times about your past with the suitor",

"Yes we have".

I wait a moment before continuing, "did you ever learn his name?"

"Val when a man makes it his goal to see to it that your severely punished you take the one luxury of learning his name".

"Well what is it?"

He looks at me curiously, "why do you want to know all of a sudden?".

"I'm not going to beg Nate just give me the name" I state,

"Aaron Nicholas James" he replies in disgust.

I digest the name.

Dammit.

Aaron Nicholas James.

Nicholas.

Nick.

Dammit. Dammit. Dammit.

"Val why are you so pale?" Nate asks worriedly.

Dammit. Dammit. Dammit.

I put on a reassuring face, "I'm not pale you moron",

He watches me suspiciously.

"Why did you want to know the name?"

"I prefer names to terms like 'suitor' " I state, then walk to my room and quickly shut the door.

As soon as the door is shut I turn towards my cabinet where I keep my hunting gear.

As soon as the cabinet door flies open I breathe in the sent of ancient weapons; daggers of all shapes and sizes, arrows, and glass bottles filled with vervain.

What memories these weapons all bring.

I pull on a tight, black, leather jacket over my loose grey t-shirt and carefully slide dozens of arrows, knives, and small glass orbs of purple vervain into my old sheaths.
When I'm done I glance into the mirror, all of my sheathed weapons are well concealed in different parts of my combat suit.
I quickly pull my hair back into a tight braid that falls to my mid-back.

I can't tell the boys what's happening at this moment because they'll all run after Nick in rage and get themselves killed.
I've got to go on my own and text them later on, once I've found Lydia.

I quietly slide open my window and disappear into the night in search of Lydia and her captor.