⭐️11| the labyrinth of gedref

♤♡◇♧

♤♡◇♧

Merlin had left on a hunting trip before Aurora had even awoken that morning, allowing soft rays of sun to filter down onto her face. She no longer found herself having to wake up early as Morgana had politely released her from the Lady's services.

Of course, Aurora was welcomed to visit, however the young witch often found herself involved with Merlin's drama, and could not make time for her job as a handmaiden any longer. She stretched, sitting up in the cold room and cracking her neck.

On instinct, her hand moved down to trace the small scar on her abdomen, and she winced at the phantom pain that shot through her. Standing to her feet and quickly changing into her usual dress while tightening the corset around her waist, she sighed, rubbing at her head.

Her headdress sat on the table at the end of her bed, and once she had violently ripped through her tangled mess of hair, she placed it on top of her head, making sure it was secure before joining Gaius for breakfast.

He left soon after for an audience with the King, and Aurora walked out amongst the streets of Camelot to meet Gwen. The two exchanged a smile, Gwen commenting on how pretty the tiara looked on her before she resumed her work and it fell to silence.

Gaius came to collect Aurora, and they took a leisure walk back to his home.

"The crops all throughout Camelot have died. Completely out of the blue." Gaius informed her, and she took his arm.

"All of them? By disease?" Aurora suggested, but Gaius shook his head as they entered the house, Merlin already seated by a table.

"I've yet to complete all the tests, but no disease I've heard of can spread through the entire Kingdom in a single night."

Merlin stood to embrace his sister as he had not spoken to her since the previous day, and he kept a clothed arm around her shoulder, leading her to the table Gaius stood at.

"What could kill all the plants other than a disease?" Merlin asked as Aurora sat down, unlacing her boots.

"It's not killing all the plants. The trees and hedges around the crop field are unharmed. Unfortunately, you can't eat trees and hedges." Gaius replied, causing Aurora to look up at the mountain of vials that decorated his workspace.

"It's only killing things we can eat? Which cannot be a disease, because it would've then killed everything. It must be magic. But who would do this, and why?" She stood to her feet again, shedding Merlin's jacket as she looked over the books.

"We can't assume magic, Aurora. Perhaps there is something in the soil and water that can explain it. I can't tell the King it's caused by sorcery until I am completely certain."

As Gaius finished up with his tests, Merlin took a seat with his sister by the window, looking out over the courtyard. Her eyes were drawn to the figure of Arthur as he walked from one entrance to another and she was reminded of his jacket that still sat under her bed.