⭐️20| the witchfinder

♤♡◇♧

♤♡◇♧

The sky was a bright blue, fluffy white clouds drifting mindlessly over the sun, momentarily blocking the twinkling rays of light as they formed patterns against the forest floor, breaking between the waving leaves.

Aurora hiked up the hill before her, hands filled with stray wood for the fire the villagers were creating, Merlin close on her heels with his own wood. The warlock slipped, logs falling from his hands, and he paused, looking up at his sister with a sigh.

The witch smiled, rolling her eyes and placing down her pile under the shelter of a tree. The distant outline of the castle stood tall against the horizon, glistening in the morning light. A clunk followed hers as Merlin placed down his own wood over her pile.

He let out a long breath, taking a seat on the underbrush and looking around in awe. Merlin was always a landscape kind of person, enjoying any view he could get, especially now. Ealdor wasn't known for its beautiful views.

Aurora sat beside her brother, legs crossing underneath her as she followed his gaze to the rising smoke through the canopy of trees below them. Merlin reached out a hand, his incantation filling the air at his usual tone.

It was strangely freeing, being so far from the Kingdom and people who would know what they are. Aurora knew Merlin found it more difficult than she did to hide it, and any chance like this, he would take it instantly.

His eyes flashed gold, a rush of wind blowing stray strands of Aurora's hair from her ponytail, curving the smoke plume into the figure of a galloping horse. The siblings grinned, watching the legs move in the slowed down version of a real horse.

The smoke returned to its usual form, and Aurora rested her head on Merlin's shoulder. Their smiles dropped, similar thoughts racing through their heads. Merlin shrugged his shoulder gently, and the two stood to collect their wood.

A rustling came from behind them, and Aurora jumped as a hand gripped the back of her jacket. A woman stood behind them, face fearful and eyes welling with tears.

"Did you see it? The smoke, did you see it?" The woman gasped for air, and Aurora felt a pit of anxiety growing in her stomach.

"No, we saw nothing." Merlin replied, and the woman frowned.

"Are you blind? You were right here! It was magic, I tell you. There's sorcery here. We must tell the king!" She panted, turning and racing down the path.

"No! Wait!" Merlin called after her, but there was no way she was going to stop. The siblings shared a look, panic filling their eyes.

Finding herself stood once more in the large hall, Aurora shuffled on her feet, biting at her tongue to fill her dry mouth with something. Merlin's shaking arm was pressing into her in an attempt to calm himself.

"It was sorcery you saw? You're certain of it?" Uther asked, positioned half on and half off of his throne.

"Yes, sire." The woman from before stood below him, a knight by her side. From the corner of her eye, she noticed Gaius looking at the two of them, and she ignored his gaze.