⭐️15| the once and future queen

♤♡◇♧

♤♡◇♧

Aurora pushed herself onto her toes, trying to see over the shoulder of the abnormally large man before her. The jousting competition was soon to come, and Arthur was practising with his men. She huffed, pushing herself through the crowd to meet Merlin.

He was waiting at the end for Arthur to finish, and she stood beside him. Arthur readied himself, charging forward and lowering his lance to chest level.

"That's got to hurt." She mused, and Merlin nodded.

"That's what I said, and Arthur bullied me for it." He complained, and Aurora laughed, patting his shoulder.

"Oh, Merlin. Dear, dear Merlin."

The Sun appeared behind a cloud, reflecting from the metal on the other knight's armour. Arthur pulled his lance away, obviously blinded, and the knight pulled his lance up to copy.

"Why did you pull out?" Arthur removed his helmet angrily, "You could've unhorsed me."

The knight pulled off his own helmet, and turned to Arthur.

"I didn't want to injure you, sire."

"You had the advantage! You can't afford to hesitate." Arthur insisted, and the knight nodded.

"Yes, I would have done if I were facing a different opponent. You are the future King, my Lord." The knight replied, and Aurora frowned.

"Ooh, that won't sit well." She mumbled, slowly moving closer to hear the conversation better. Merlin laughed quietly, but followed behind her.

"You jousted against me in the tournament last year, are you saying you let me win?" Arthur lowered his voice, and Aurora's gaze moved back and forth between Arthur and the knight.

"No, my Lord." He shook his head, but the hesitation before his answer was enough. Arthur huffed, turning back to the cluster of knights that stood behind him.

"It doesn't matter who I am! I do not expect any special treatment from you, from any of you. Is that understood?" He yelled, and the knights nodded slowly. Arthur shook his head, storming towards Merlin and Aurora.

She offered a smile and a shrug when he looked towards her, and the men left towards the castle.

Aurora gripped the handle of the bucket, hands finally used to the cool metal as she lifted it from its position under the water pump.

"May I help?"

She sighed, turning to look behind her. The knight from earlier stood with a wide smile on his face. Aurora felt a large wave of deja vu. She seemed to be meeting everybody at the water pump.