Chapter 10

You found yourself shifting on the couch, turning around and curling into something warm. Your eyes snapped open and you resisted the urge to groan in annoyance as sunlight blinded your vision. You looked down, pausing abruptly as you realized you were pressed against something. As you looked up once more, you realized it was someone, not something.

"Marshall.." you breathed, the events of yesterday came flooding back. He still had his arms wrapped around you, and you realized that he had barely moved since falling asleep last night. You frowned as your eyes trailed his bruises. Underneath his left eye was a dark purple bruise. His lip was split and several cuts adorned his cheeks and forehead. You allowed your eyes to trail down to his bare chest, then his torso. You had done a great job bandaging it, but you didn't know how much that would help in the long run. You held your hand up hesitantly, before lightly placing it against his stomach.

Marshall stirred lightly, his features pinching for a brief moment before relaxing in sleep. You smiled, looking up at the ceiling as you closed your eyes again.

The second you did however, your phone buzzed on the counter. You sat up slowly, careful not to disturb Marshall as you maneuvered yourself from his grip. You looked towards the clock, tilting your head in annoyance as you realized you had completely slept through your first three periods. You had planned to ditch anyways, and you were sure that it was your friends asking where you where. You ran a hand through your hair, reaching down and plucking the phone up.

You sniffed quietly as you scrolled through your messages and calls. You smiled at one from your mother, quickly texting her back that you were fine and that you'd call and catch up later. You continued to go through your messages quietly, your breath immediately catching in your throat as your finger landed on a familiar number.

"Fuck.." you breathed quietly, standing up as you stared at the text. It was a simple message, but the intent was clear.

Meet me at our spot. Come alone- Clarence

You swallowed hard, your fingers tapping against your phone as you silently paced and tried to figure out what to do. You knew if you were to bring Marshall, the chances of something outrageous happening was high. However, you no longer felt comfortable confronting Clarence alone. You chewed your lip, barely giving yourself time to process your thoughts as you moved to your room to change. You threw on a red hoodie and black sweats to match. You threw the hoodie over your head, not bothering to brush it as you picked up your car keys.

"Fuck.." you repeated as you slipped out of the door, quietly closing it behind you. You were surprised that none of that seemed to wake Marshall up. You were used to him being a light sleeper, but you figured that he was especially tired today. You slipped into your car, starting the engine and driving down the lane. The entire time your thoughts wandered to what ir is Clarence could want.

You didn't care.

You were going to make something clear to him, and you were going to do it now. It didn't take long before you had driven past most of the main roads and entered a long forgotten park. The play structures had long since been destroyed and decayed. The swings hung by one chain as the others had snapped or twisted into something unusable. The entire area was a dangerous area. Sharp needles adorned the floor, pieces of broken glass bottles littered the side in shards.

Still, every time Clarence had asked you to come, you'd come. You rolled your eyes at the silly thought, parking your car and peering ahead as you saw him leaning against one of the slides. You got out of your car, your hands jammed into your pockets as you walked towards him.

"What do you want Clarence?" You snapped.

Clarence raised an eyebrow at you, almost as though he wasn't expecting you to be angry with him.