Chapter 3

"You said you got a guest over?" Clarence asked as he followed you to the kitchen. "Is she cute?"

You laughed sarcastically as the two of you walked down the hall. "It's a guy first of all."

"Oh, well never mind then-" Clarence started, but stopped. He had been walking a few paces ahead of you. He stared into the kitchen for a moment before turning to you.

You glanced over his shoulder only to find Marshall on his feet. He was staring at Clarence, his eyes silently burning with fury. Clarence's gaze had gone cold, almost emotionless.

"We've met." He said coolly.

"Really..? How?" You asked, confused at the sudden tension.

"Doesn't matter. Look, I gotta bounce." He said quickly. You noticed that the way he spoke had changed. He was no longer that happy, fun loving Clarence you had met last year.

You glanced at Marshall. His fists were clenched so tightly it made you wince.

"I'm sorry. Did I miss something?" You asked.

"No." Marshall said, his voice cold. "Just didn't know you allowed bitches in your house."

"Can't wait to see you choke tonight." Clarence said, a smirk on his face. You saw Marshall take an angry step towards him from the corner of your eye.

"Okay um Clarence, you need to leave. I'll talk to you later okay?" You said. You were silently furious with Marshall. What the hell was he doing?

"Whatever y/n." Clarence said, walking out of the kitchen. You held your breath until you heard the front door open as close.

"Marshall? What the hell?!" You asked.

"Yo, What the fuck?!" He exploded, surprising you. "You're friends with that asshole?"

"What's your problem? Why are you so mad?!" You asked, purposely avoiding the question.

"Why am I so mad?" He asked. "What the fuck are you doing with the leader of the free world?"

"Okay, Marshall, calm down okay? I don't understand what you're talking about. Just sit down and explain to me what just happened because I'm so confused."

Marshall studied you for a minute. "Are you for real?"

"I'm serious, I have no idea what you're talking about. Clarence is my friend, we go to the same school." You said.

"Clarence?" He asked skeptically.

"Yeah, we go to Cranbrook together." You said. Marshall looked at you as if you had just revealed the biggest secret of all time, you felt your stomach churn in anxiousness.

"Everyone calls him papa doc. He's the leader of the free world." Marshall informed you.

"What?" You asked, your eyes widening.

"He ain't a real gangster, he's a.." Marshall looked deep in thought. "Aight, okay I got you."

"What are you talking about?"

"He's been passin' himself off as Papa doc for years." Marshall explained. "He created the free world. He claims he rose from the slums of Detroit."

"Is he.. one of the guys who hurt you?" You asked. Marshall looked away.

"Yeah." He responded bluntly.

"I'm sorry, I-I had no idea. I've never really been around the east side scene of Detroit you know? He acts so sweet at school.." you said. You thought back to all the times Clarence had cancelled hanging out with you because of "family" issues. Was he really just out there beating people up and running around with a gang?