Chapter 13

A/n: this chapter is really long and unedited. It's getting to the parts where I'd like to start transitioning the plot into the main part flow of what's happening for the book, so I wanted to write and get all the nuisances out. Little did I know I ended up making this over 11,000 words. Next few chapters won't be nearly as up there (I think). Apologies in advance, but enjoy!

You and Marshall both rushed up the stairs. You found yourself tripping over your feet a few times, narrowly being caught by the arm by Marshall's grasp.

"You're clumsy as hell, y/n." He told you, making sure you got up the stairs first before he trailed behind you.

"It's dark." You reminded him, feeling around for the lights before switching them on. You turned on the light to the room you'd left to Lily. You were relieved to find that there was no scattered glass on the ground, however the window adjacent to her bed had been completely cracked. She had buried herself underneath the blanket and seemed to be holding completely still.

You and Marshall shared a look before starting towards her. While Marshall sat besides her on the bed, you examined the window. You could immediately tell that something heavy had been thrown at it. It wouldn't have been the first time, but you had been hoping that last time had been the last.

You stood across from the two of them, watching as Marshall carefully brought the blanket down besides her. "Lily?" He questioned gently. "Are you okay? Did the glass cut you?"

She shook her head slowly. She seemed to have calmed down a bit now that the two of you had made your way up.

"What happened?" Marshall asked, sounding relieved. Lily's bottom lip quivered as she grasped the blankets beneath her tightly.

"I'm not sure." She admitted. "I heard kids laughing, so I looked outside. They were in uniforms. There was a girl who walked slower than all of them. She saw me watching. I waved at her and she.. she threw something. I shouldn't have looked out of the window, I'm sorry."

Your eyes softened as you listened, your gaze trailing up to Marshall. "Sounds like the middle schoolers. They get to school at seven thirty in the morning for early practice. Do you remember what she looked like?"

"The girl that threw the thing?" She asked.

You nodded patiently.

"She was wearing a poncho over her uniform. She was really tall, and she had short red hair."

You immediately pulled a face as you heard this. "I thought so. That was Julianne, Jade's sister." You briefly explained.

Marshall raised an eye brow at you, and you laughed a bit. "What? You're not the only person people seem to despise for one reason or the other. Jade's just one of them. She probably told her sister to throw it, or maybe her sister hates me too. Who knows."

"Why?" Lily blinked up at you.

"Yeah?" Marshall prodded teasingly, "why?"

"Because..." you started, your face reddening as multiple different instances crossed your mind. "Well, I did one thing one time and regretted it horribly. She never seemed to get over it." You answered vaguely.

"What'd you do?" Lily questioned, laying against Marshall and blinking up at you curiously. You looked at Marshall, and he seemed to give you a look that said humor her.

"Well, that my friend, is a really long story. Let's just say I ate something I wasn't supposed to on an outing with some of my best friends-"

"What'd you eat?" Lily questioned.