Chapter 4

You screamed along with the crowd as you listened to Marshall roast a guy who called himself Lotto. He had already beaten one person, and it looked like he was about to beat Lotto too. You felt your heart swell with pride as you listened to him leave Lotto stunned. The crowd, at first had booed him, but now they were cheering to everything Marshall said.

"Make some noise for Lotto!" Future said. They're were a few cheers, but mostly boos. "Make some noise for B rabbit!"

Everyone in the crowd screamed, but you screamed the loudest. You made brief eye contact with Marshall, and he smirked at you.

"Alright, looks like B rabbit goes into the final round. Let's take a short break y'all." Future said. You took the melting ice pack off of your ankle, it was feeling much better. Marshall high fived a few people in the crowd before turning around and walking towards you. You stood up and threw your arms around him, unable to contain your excitement.

"You did great!" You said.

He gave a short laugh. "That leave it beaver line almost killed me." He said, hugging you back.

"Yeah but then you threw it back in his face!" You said. "It was amazing."

The two of you let go of each other and he smiled down at you.

"Gross, you're all sweaty." You laughed. He tugged at the collar of his hoodie.

"It's hot as hell." He said.

"Then take off your hoodie." You said. "Here."

You handed him the water bottle you had managed to snag from the break room. He took it from you gratefully.

"Are you battling Clarence next?" You asked.

He took a sip from the water bottle and nodded.

"Are you worried about what he's gonna say?" You asked. Marshall looked at you, obviously confused.

"What are you talking about?"

"You know.. jumping you and stuff like that." You muttered. You watched as Marshall furrowed his eyebrows. He seemed to be lost in thought as he drummed his fingers over the table. You sat down by him.

"Your ankle feel better?" He asked, still nodding along to a non existent beat.

"Yeah, a lot better. I guess some muscles just tightened up or something. It doesn't hurt that much anymore."

He nodded and continued to drum his fingers over the table.

"I've never seen a rap battle before you know? But I'm glad that this was the first one I've ever watched. You really..."

Your voice trailed off once you realized that Marshall was no longer looking at you. He was staring straight ahead. You turned around and you felt your heart sink. A few feet away, Clarence stood, surrounded by his group. They were glaring angrily at you and Marshall.

"Come on," You whispered. "Let's get out of here."

Marshall stood up, allowing you to lead the way towards the hallways.

"That's right lil bitch run away, unless you want another black eye." You heard Clarence laugh. You felt Marshall pause for a second.

"Come on, don't let them get under your skin. You're so close." You whispered. He nodded stiffly, and allowed you to guide him out of the hallway. The hallways was much cooler than backstage.

"Are you okay?" You asked him.

"I wanna kill him." Marshall growled.

"Lyrically right?" You said. Marshall sighed angrily and rested against the wall. "He's trying to throw you off your game. That anger? Use it against him. I just saw what you can do. If you can roast the hell out of people based on only physical appearance, imagine what you can do to Clarence. You know enough shit about him to put him in a coffin."