Chapter 5

The drive home was tiring and slightly annoying. Everywhere you turned there was traffic. Your car radio was not working, which left you alone with nothing but your thoughts. The entire school day had been exhausting for you. Clarence and his friends had made the day miserable. From spreading ridiculous rumors, to doing childish things like sticking things on your locker. You had tried to ignore it, but by the end of the day you were so emotionally drained that you decided to cut your last class and  just go home.

I don't understand how he's the one who did the wrong thing, and I'm paying for it. Doesn't he understand that I could expose him to the rest of the school at any moment? You thought to yourself.

But you knew that you could never do it. As much as Clarence despised you now, you hoped that he would eventually see the error of his ways and apologize. Deep down you knew you were holding your breath, but it was only in your nature to see the good in people.

You let your mind wander to Marshall. You wondered if he had eventually gotten out of bed and ate something. You wondered if his hangover had gotten better. By the time you got back home, you were so overwhelmed by thoughts that you had dropped your keys twice while trying to open the door. You walked in, half surprised to find the house quiet. You walked over the couch, plopped your bag on the floor and sat down.

You rubbed your temples in exhaustion and tried your best to think yourself out of your situation. You didn't even notice the quiet footsteps that had made their way into the living room.

"Y/n?" Marshall asked. You looked up quickly and plastered a smile.

"Hey? How're you feeling?"

He raised an eyebrow at you and joined you on the couch. His short brown hair was slightly wet, and he had changed his clothes. You realize that that meant he had taken a shower.

"Better. Long day?" He asked. You nodded and sighed. "Clarence fuck with you?"

You hesitated for a quick moment before shaking your head.

"Don't bullshit me y/n. I saw you hesitate." He said, studying you. You felt tears prick at your eyes again. Marshall stared at you incredulously, obviously surprised by your blatant show of emotion. "What the fuck did he do?"

The anger had returned to his voice, and once again his eyes were burning.

"Nothing." You choked out. "He hates me Marshall. So much."

You couldn't bear to look at him and get his reaction. You knew that it was probably disappointment. "He's been messing with me all day, and getting his stupid friends to mess with me too. But I can't get angry, because no one ever expects me to get angry. I'm supposed to be happy all the time. Think think think positive is what my mom always says. But I'm sick and tired of thinking positive all the time."

Marshall sat and listened to you for several moments before responding. "Put your shoes back on."

"What? Why?" You asked, wiping your eyes with the back of your sleeve. "I'm sorry I'm crying so much."

"You're a girl. It's your job." He teased.

"Ugh. Are you ever not a total jerk?" You asked, leaning back on the couch.

"Nah, never." He said. "Put on your shoes."

"Why? Where are we going?"

"You're gonna show me where this asshole lives."

"Marshall no! We aren't beating anyone up." You said.

"Who said anything about beating him up?" He asked, obviously annoyed that that was the first thing your mind thought of.