Chapter 4: The Invitation

Liah POV:

I let out a sigh of relieve at the sight of the man, it was the one who had taken the elevator with me earlier. He walked inside and let the elevator doors close. I watched the man to keep myself occupied, I wasn't a friend of closed spaces

The man was tall and probably around thirty, maybe younger. His clothes lead on that he was in a high position in this company and he looked very confident. He wore his dark brown hair in a messy way, yet it looked good and intentional on him, it made his green eyes stand out even more. Then there was his posture, he showed determination and confidence that I hadn't seen in many people before. Not that I came around a lot.

"Done with your business?"

I was startled as he looked at me and asked me a question.

"Uh, yes. I got what I wanted." I avoided any eye contact.

"Mommy?" I snapped out of my thoughts as Caleb tugged at my pants.

"Come here, baby." I reached out for Caleb and pulled him into my arms. "You did an amazing job."

I heard a soft chuckle beside me. Looking to my side to see the man chuckling, I couldn't stop but joined in on his chuckles.

"Don't make it a habit to trick our guards." He said amused.

I chuckled. "We never know." I answered back equally amused.

His face changed into a more serious one but I wasn't uncomfortable around this man. "So, tell me why you came here."

"I thought you saw the scene in the conference room."

"I did."

"Then you already know why." I shrugged.

Then he pointed at Caleb. "So far only the little boy said it."

"If you want me to repeat it, alright. Jonathan Varez is Caleb's grandpa just like he said and-"

I stopped talking as the elevator doors opened, I grabbed Caleb's stroller and walked outside, not wanting to wait for another question or to be stopped from leaving. I needed to get out, to get some fresh air.

I didn't stop walking until I was at my car, I leaned against it and took a few deep breaths

"Mom, mommy?" Caleb tugged at my pants and starred up at me wanting to be picked up.

"Come here buddy." I picked him up and cuddled him not wanting to let go of him for the moment.

I was the calmest when Caleb was around when I could hug and cuddle him. He just snuggled up in my arms and kissed my cheek.

"Don be sad." He said and then kissed my cheek.

I looked at him. "I'm not sad, baby. How could I be sad with you here. I love you." I had no idea how but he always knew when I wasn't feeling well.

A few minutes passed before I put Caleb and the stroller back in the car. I grabbed the card from my pocket and put the address in my phone, it was a half an hour drive.

"You ready for a party, baby?" I asked but didn't get an answer.

I turned around only to see Caleb asleep in his seat, his head resting on the side of his child seat and his pink teddy clenched tight in his hands. I smiled at the picture and slowly started the car.

Since I didn't want to wake Caleb immediately I drove around the city for a good hour. Thankfully I had refueled the car right before we entered the city this morning. I waited until I saw Caleb slowly stirring in his sleep which always indicated that he would wake up soon. The GPS was still set for the right location so I started to follow it.