Chapter 16: Baby Blue and White

Liah POV:

"Family is your life."

That's a famous quote I heard a few years ago, at least I think it's a famous quote, I don't really know trends or what is famous, maybe it was just one of my teachers who said it. Anyway, I think the quote fits me if you add that you choose your family on your own. Right now there are two people who I would consider to be my family, Caleb and Rome. I couldn't do without them anymore.

Caleb has and always will be my family, no questions asked. And even though Adira and Ethan are dead they are right next to him on the list. I treasure the two years I knew them more than anything in my life.

Then there is Rome, it is only natural that he was added to our small family. He cares for Caleb and he makes me feel loved and most importantly safe.

The rest of my supposed brothers and my father were added to my 'leave behind in a zombie apocalypse' list. Don't ask me when this list started but Ethan was a huge fan of zombies and everything related to it so we all kind of came up with it. Adira's list was called 'throw off a cliff' list and the list was long, let me tell you she didn't like many people, maybe just Ethan, Caleb and me.

I don't like many people either, but I don't know many people in general and didn't have the chance to make friends in years.

Anyway, back to my supposed family. Darien is close to being on the family list but he is still giving me mixed feelings. There was the time when he and Rome took care of me the first night I was here and then he acted so angry and left when I asked Jonathan why I was given away. I haven't seen him or talked to him since then.

Lijah is kind of a mystery to me, I haven't talked to him alone or seen much of him either but I appreciate that he tried to be there for me when Jonathan told me the truth that morning. I have a good feeling he'll be on the family list soon.

Then there are Ian and Zac, my two oldest brothers. I would like to say I wasn't surprised but I was. Rome told me three days ago, when we returned from our talk in the garden, that they had left the country. I had thought they would come back soon but nope, they left for Italy for an unknown time. It could be just for business like Rome tried to reassure me but them leaving without a reason during the morning talk and then straight up leaving the country makes me think I am the reason. But hey, I know how to deal with the disappointment that comes with it. They were straight added to my 'leave behind in a zombie apocalypse' list, they should be glad I don't have a 'throw off a cliff' list.

By the way Jonathan, my supposed father, is on the same list, the reason should be obvious.

Knock Knock.

I look at the door and then to Caleb, who is peacefully sleeping in his crib. I stand up from my spot on the bed and walk towards Rome's bedroom door. Yes, we're still staying in Rome's room, I just can't handle staying in my own room yet.

"Yes?" I say as I open the door.

I was fully expecting Rome to stand on the other side but to my surprise it is Darien and another man who is in his thirties. Where Darien impresses with his black wavy hair, the other man stands out with his shining blond, perfectly styled hair. To my surprise the unknown man towers even over Darien, making him easily one of the tallest men I have ever seen. Not that I have seen many in my life.

At that thought I remember Toby, the tall guard who was watching me in Jonathan's office the first day I came here. Maybe they are the same height, but Toby looked stronger with his buff physique.