Chapter 7: Twins

Liah POV:

"See it's Rome's kid, I told you!"

Someone said something but I couldn't register it clearly, I was too focused on engulfing this feeling. A feeling I hadn't felt in a long time. I felt loved and cared for by a simple hug.

"Finally, finally." I heard weak and rough whispers coming from the boy but they were inaudible to anyone else since his face was pressed tightly into the crock of my neck.

"Mommy, go. Let mommy go." I heard Caleb's voice beside me and as I looked at him I saw him punching and kicking the mysterious boys leg with his tiny fists. It looked adorable. "Mom with me!" Caleb repeated and a few other things that weren't understandable or just gibberish.

The boy looked down at his body without loosening his grip on me. He didn't seem too bothered by Caleb's tiny fists, he looked rather amused.

"Who are you little buddy?" He asked with an amused voice yet it was still rough as he spoke, as if he hadn't in a while.

"You bad. I want mommy. Mommy with me!" Caleb repeated while punching the boys leg continuously.

The boy looked at me surprised and confused. "Wait, I have a nephew?" He said startled, his mouth hanging open and his eyes wide.

I giggled at his expression and released my legs from around his torso. Caleb immediately clenched onto my leg and hugged it while trying to push me away from the unknown boy.

"Rome-" Jonathan said with his mouth hanging wide open.

The boy, I guess his name was Rome, it suited him, turned around and released his tight hold on me, he only left one arm around my waist as if he didn't want to let go at all. I didn't mind it, I didn't want to leave his side even though I had no idea who he was. I had a feeling but couldn't be sure yet. While Rome starred at Jonathan I picked up a complaining Caleb. As he was secure in my arms he tried to push the last arm of Rome's off of me but without success.

"Dad?" Rome simply asked with a raised eyebrow. I noticed again that his voice was very rough and scratchy, like he hadn't spoken in a while and it hurt to do now.

Three of the other men were looking at us perplexed, the one who had held my arm earlier simply starred at us coldly. Cailyn had covered her mouth in shock.

Nobody said anything else so I faced Rome. "I get the feeling you could be my brother."

He turned towards me and smiled brightly. "Not just a brother. I'm your twin." He squeezed my side more.

As he said the last words I could hear Cailyn start sobbing silently and the expressions on everyone's faces changed again. Jonathan looked shocked, obviously lost for words or what to do. The three oldest men were starring at both of us with indescribable looks, maybe with adoration and disbelief yet they looked sad and angry, I couldn't tell clearly. The last one was still glaring at Rome and his expression hardened as he looked at me.

"Dad, she can't be her. It can't be her! She's lying." The one who had grabbed me gritted out. But it wasn't hate or disgust that I saw in his eyes, it was pain and fear.

"You think I wouldn't recognize my twin sister?" Rome said angrily, which made me feel another wave of warmth. It felt like he was defending me. 

I had never seen this boy in my life but I had this instant connection with him.

"No, it can't." He spit out again. "It's impossible, she's not supposed to be here." His eyes wandered to mine at his last words which didn't sound as angry anymore but rather defeated.