Chapter 8: Sleepover

Liah POV:

We were silently eating our sandwiches and I looked to the opposite side of the table where the grumpy brother was sitting. I caught him starring at me but he quickly pretended to be on his phone. I chuckled lightly at that and I could have sworn I saw a smile on his lips before he covered it up.

"He's Darien, our youngest oldest brother. He's 27."

Wow, that was a big age gap. But the older brothers all seemed to be around the same age. I knew Ian was 30 years old since that was written on the invitation and today was his birthday party. That meant the smallest age gab would be 10 years.

A moment later Darien looked up from his phone and at me. "What's your name?"

"Liah, why?" I asked confused.

"No, your full name."

I crunched my nose in confusion but answered anyway. "Lianne Santiago."

Rome and Darien looked at me for a moment but didn't say anything.

"So, uhm, Liah." Rome hesitated a little to say my name. I ignored the fact. "I'll show you a room later where you can sleep in. We also have a crib where Caleb can sleep."

"Oh, that's not necessary. I don't want to bother you anymore than necessary." I looked at Caleb. "I have everything I need in the car."

"You want to sleep in a car?" Damien asked suddenly, his voice raised a little.

I put a finger to my mouth and reminded him to be quiet since Caleb was sleeping.

"You're not sleeping in a car!" He said again but this time in a quiet voice.

"Come on." Rome tugged at my arm and indicated me to follow him.

"Wait, let me get Caleb."

I was just about to reach for Caleb and pick him up when Rome went past me. He carefully picked Caleb up and steadied his head with his hand. He looked so attentive and was really careful as he placed my sleeping baby in his arms. I never trusted strangers with my baby, not even my own mother, but seeing Rome look at my baby with such caring and mesmerized eyes I couldn't but trust him with Caleb.

"I think you carried him around enough for today." Rome whispered to me as he slightly rocked him up and down in his arms.

"This way." Darien stood up too and gestured me out the door.

"Can we stop at the car first. I need a few things for Caleb. I'm sure he'll wake up soon and if he doesn't have his teddy he won't be able to sleep again."

The two nodded at me and we made our way outside. Darien had placed his suit jacket over my shoulders as he saw that I shivered at the nighty summer breeze. I gave him a quick thanks and lead them to the car.

Since it was the beginning of summer it was still bright outside at this time and I could easily spot my car. As we walked towards the car I saw a few guests leaving and they looked into our direction. Darien and Rome moved ever so slightly to shield me from the people's gazes, at least that's what it looked like to me.

"This is it." I said as I opened the car.

"What do you need?" Darien asked as he opened the trunk.

"Caleb's stroller and his bag, there is everything inside I would need for one night. And his teddy, it is on the backseat." I said as I was looking for my own things and Caleb's travel cot. It was actually just his normal baby bed, he usually slept beside me in my bed anyway. I couldn't afford much more.