Chapter 10: Test Results

Liah POV:

I walked back to Rome's room to change Caleb's clothes. He had decided to jump right into the fountain we had found in the backyard and was soaked wet from head to toe. He, of course, found it very amusing, I didn't.

Knock. Knock.

I heard the knock and turned around. The door was still open so I immediately saw Jonathan standing in the door. My eyes trailed down to a piece of paper in his hands and I looked at him confused.

He slowly walked towards me with his shoulders hanging low. As he stepped closer I could see that his eyes were red and it seemed that he had cried earlier.

"Can I hug you, la mia bambina?" (my little girl) He asked as new tears threatened to fall from his eyes. 

Tears immediately filled my own eyes at his words. I glanced at the paper in his hands and I could only read the top part. But that was all I needed to confirm it.

Paternity Test Results.

I buried my face in my hands and let the tears out. I did it, I really found him. Everything I had hoped for in the last years had come true and I felt all the worry and fear I had felt in the past come crashing down on me. Even though he hadn't said anything specific I knew the meaning of it. He is my father. I finally found my dad.

I felt arms engulf me and I knew it was Jonathan. He embraced me tighter as I let out a few sobs.

"La mia dolce bambina." (My sweet baby girl.) Jonathan whispered into my neck as he tightened his hold on me again.

This time I hugged him tighter and he picked me off the ground. I didn't know how long we stayed like that but I enjoyed it to the fullest. Being here now and meeting my dad meant no more living with my mother, she wouldn't have control over my life anymore and dictate me what to do or tell me how to live. I could be free here.

"Gwanpa hug!"

We both looked to our sides to see Caleb standing beside us. Jonathan slowly set me back on my feet without breaking our hug and pulled Caleb into our embrace with one arm. Caleb flung an arm around each of us and giggled as we continued the hug.

Cough.

Someone cleared their throat behind us and I saw Rome standing behind us impatiently. Jonathan noticed this too and picked Caleb from my arms. I immediately jumped into Rome's arms and hugged him even tighter than before.

"It's true. I knew it was you." He whispered into my shoulder.

We ended up sitting on the bed after our hug. Jonathan was still standing by the door with Caleb in his arms. He looked a bit lost with the toddler in his arms but Caleb didn't seem to mind it, he was absentmindedly playing with Jonathan's hair and squeezing his face. I giggled as I saw that. Jonathan was tall like his sons and intimidating too. But my little baby was simply scrunching his grandfather's face with his tiny hands without a care in the world.

"So, I take it that you believe me now." I smirked at Jonathan with the last tears of joy in my eyes.

He grinned at me and nodded. "I'll never doubt it again."

Then Rome took my hand and pulled me to my feet. "Come on."

He pulled me behind him. As we passed Jonathan and Caleb I stopped, I wasn't leaving my baby out of my eyes. Rome stopped as he felt my resistance and looked at me puzzled. He realized what I wanted to do when I took Caleb from Jonathan's arms.