The Royal Ball

Today was the day of the ball. Everything was being pieced together and finished by day so the ball could be held by night. Typically, Royal Ball's would be where the prince met his partner, which usually only made the night more exhausting. Luckily (or in Aaron's case, unluckily), his partner had already been chosen. That only took away one factor of stress, but Aaron still wished he wouldn't have to attend.

Vlyad, Aphmau's stand in guard, would be looking out for him. The prince didn't know Vlyad well but he knew Aphmau for long enough where he trusted him and they could get along.

Aaron pulled a suit out of his closet, retreating gracefully to his washroom so that Vlyad could continue peacefully petting Aphmau's pet wyvern, Storm.

When Aaron emerged, he was dressed in a fitted black tuxedo. He wore a red collared shirt under the Tuxedo top, a black tie to compliment it. He took off the tuxedo and left it on his bed before moving to his mirror. He tried to brush out his hair but it bunched back up. It wasn't in a bad way. His hair was naturally cute and puffy, but he couldn't have the, "I'm an intimidating person, please stay away" look. His crown was small, he didn't like the flashy golden crown look, but his parents wanted it known that he was the prince. They eventually came to a compromise and settled on a crown made of black metal with ruby crystals. It was small and simple, if not for the ruby's, it would've full blended in with his hair. He placed it carefully on his head.

After a bit of fighting with his hair, he looked into the mirror to see the silent guard on his bed doing his best to comfort his friend's dragon. "What a curious creature." Aaron spoke softly. No matter how many times he had seen her in action, he could never get over how incredible she was.

"She's sad." Vlyad mentioned. His voice was quiet. He was the most silent of the guards but Aphmau brought out a spark in him whenever she was around, along with Travis.

"Pardon?"

"She doesn't know that Aphmau didn't have a choice leave her. To her, it seems like her friend had up and vanished, leaving her behind. They're bonded, so when they're seprated for too long, they get really sad."

"I see." Aaron couldn't help but be flooded with an intense wave of sadness. He too, felt bonded to Aphmau. If her friends hadn't told him what happened and kept it a secret like they did to Melissa, he would've thought that she had just left him behind. He would've thought that she had finally gotten tired and put her wings to use. But then he remembered the kind of person she was.

She was a kind and sincere person. She was like a ray of sunshine. Even if she was unhappy she wouldn't up and leave without any warning.

Then came a knock.

The prince carefully opened the door to his bedroom, only to find one of his fathers maids. She had a letter in hand. "The king wanted you to have this."

"Thank you." Aaron took the letter, dismissing the maid before closing the door once again.

He unfolded the paper only to find a small string of text greeting him.

"I don't care if you don't love her, she will be your wife so keep up a good act. Aphmau's life depends on your actions."

Aaron's breathing hitched in his throat. "That damn bastard, I hate him."

"What did it say, if I may ask?"

Aaron handed Vlyad the slip of paper, sitting dazed on his bed.

"Aphmau never liked him either. He might've been nice about some things but he belittled her passive aggressively. No wonder he's using her to get to you. To think a king would stoop so low astounds me."