Chapter 18

"Old lady?" Uh oh again

"Old lady?" Uh oh again. The lady in question, was in her mid-thirties with an almost youthful appearance — calling her old was a blatant insult, something Celia was probably more than aware of. 

"Yeah that's right." Groaning from my best friend's attempt at being intimidating, my eyes shift to the other stranger who seems unamused and expressionless while Ms. Zhao's eyes send flying daggers in my direction. Raising a questioning eyebrow while taking a precautionary step back, my eyes travel to her hands where a stack of notice board papers and letters addressed to 'The Matchmaker' are held.

 Suddenly panicking, I swiftly glance around me, neither Patrick or Zander notice this, and I do something incriminating but necessary; I walk out of the apartment, grab my Landlady's arm, and drag her to the emergency stairs. 

"Why did you bring me here?" Ms. Zhao asks hoarsely.

Glancing around nervously before answering, I drop my voice to a low whisper, "those two guys don't know I'm the Matchmaker." 

"Ahh, but how do you intend to work from now on? They're with you every day." Her question posed a real crisis for me that I shrugged off for the time being. With the amount of letters in her hand, it was obvious that a string of clients suddenly popped up from nowhere and would expect to be contacted soon — I'd have to shift my focus from the President's son to other elites.

How? That was the real question. And there lies my crisis because Zander seems determined to become chummy neighbours, dare I even say friends? His ulterior motives to find the matchmaker aside, he did things that go beyond something that's considered a business relationship. I may be helping him, but he didn't have to go to such lengths. I don't even know how to begin avoiding him for the next several days without becoming cold or revealing my identity altogether.

"That's a good question Ms. Zhao, I really don't know but I'll have to think of something," I admit honestly, giving up.

"What about these letters?"

"Just leave them with the doorman on night duty and I'll come later and get them myself. I don't want to risk looking suspicious if you hand them to me. It's better if I pretend to be checking the mailbox on the lobby floor." 

A deep frown sets on her thin lips and I know she hates being extra precautionary, it was bad enough to begin with but with Zander and his random observation skills, I didn't want to risk anything. 

"Okay, I'll do it but you better pay your rent soon or I won't hesitate to kick you out!" And with a pointed finger, she gives me a hard look before taking the stairs downward.

Sighing, I walk back to the hallway only to have my ears assaulted by more bickering; Celia and the complaining tenant going back and forth while Patrick relishes in the moment of placing a defensive arm around Celia.

 Frowning, my gaze travels to Zander who looks unamused and bored. Catching me in the act of staring, he lights up and walks towards me while I instinctively retreat. This action doesn't sit well with him because his strides become more purposeful, "where'd you go Catherine?"