005 ⎯⎯ The Contract

— act one, scene five: the contract

act one, scene five: the contract

༺♥༻

     "So... basically, you want to pretend to date me to get her back," Megara concluded, arms crossed over her chest as she pressed her index finger to her chin.  She stared up at his ceiling, her back nestled between his comfy pillows.

     Ricky thought about it for a second.  "Yeah, pretty much."

     "That's a horrible idea," she shook her head.  "She'd never believe it."

     Ricky took another moment to think.  "We could really sell it."

     "I really don't think anyone would believe it," Megara insisted, sitting up from her spot on his bed, a stuffed teddy bear fell from the middle of the bed next to her, she grabbed it with her hand and placed it back between the pillows again.  She hadn't noticed just how comfortable she had made herself in the time he was talking.

     "Just... think about it, okay?  I really need this," Ricky pleaded.

     "And I really don't," Megara retorted.  "See you tomorrow, Rick," she quickly turned on her heel and left him alone in his bedroom.

     That night, both of them had trouble resting their eyes for the next day of school.  Ricky tossed and turned, grunting when he realized his sheets smelled like Megara's perfume.  Megara laid on her back, staring straight up at her ceiling with her long locks scattered amongst her cream-white pillowcases.  She sat in silence for what seemed to be an eternity, bringing her black painted nails to her forearm and scratching softly as Ricky's words played over like a broken record.

     "First off, no kissing on the lips."

     Megara stood at the picnic table in the cafeteria being occupied by Ricky and Big Red, plopping down her notebook with a slam.  It was already open to a blank page and a pen was clipped onto the spirals.  She slid her legs in between the bench and table, the boys watching her with wide eyes as she sat down on the other side of Ricky.  Her psychology textbook was in her other hand, which she set down next to her notebook gently.  "What?" Big Red asked, clearly the most confused out of the three.

     Megara looked around the cafeteria spaces around them.  If they were going to pull this off, they had to make sure nobody knew a thing.  Thankfully, nobody had noticed Megara sitting with Ricky and his best friend because all eyes were on EJ as he had his arms around a tiny brunette.  Nini had quickly become the talk of the small town as she had been practically a nobody until today.

     Okay, that was a little bit harsh.  Meg was a nobody.  Nini actually had things going for her.   Nini was sweet, sang to herself when she did her homework, invited her friends over for movie nights and occasionally played the cow or tree in the school plays.  But now she was being cradled by the co-captain of the water polo team and the most popular guy in school, who was also a senior, for everyone to see.  It was safe to say Nini's popularity had gone up in the ranks.  Megara felt a pang in her heart when she looked at her old friend, but that's all she was now.  Just her old friend.  If she could even call it that.