002 ⎯⎯ My Heart Skipped A Beat

— act one, scene two: my heart skipped a beat

act one, scene two: my heart skipped a beat

༺♥༻

     Megara never planned on falling in love.  At least, not with him.  She never liked him, he was always annoying Megara with the way he tapped his fingers on his desk to the beat of some song in his enormous head.  He seemed like he always thought of himself before others, like when she'd ask him politely to stop tapping his fingers, and he decided to do it anyway just to see her get frazzled.

     Oh, how she despised him.  But not as much as Amelia.  Amelia Hanes was Megara's part-time classmate and full-time nightmare.  Wishing she was being overdramatic, Megara did everything in her power to avoid the girl but at the end of the day, it seemed impossible to not engage in bickering.  Between Amelia declaring herself Megara's enemy and Megara's budding feeling of enmity every time she was with Ricky, she couldn't win.  Oh, how they'd be perfect for each other, she thought.  But she was kidding.  No matter how much she seemed to hate Ricky, Megara wouldn't wish her enemy on anyone.

     Eventually, that hatred went away and he was no longer a thorn in her side, proving himself good when he helped the short brunette.  Unfamiliar territory for both of them.  "Don't you have some town to terrorize, blondezilla?" Megara crossed her arms, trying to look like she wasn't tired.  Spending the whole night before crying her way through a biology assignment she didn't understand, Megara decided today she didn't want to fight.  "Come on, let's just call it a day."

     "Mm, wish I could," Amelia pushed Megara's shoulder, the brunette's torso tapping the lockers behind her and echoing throughout the long and empty hallway.  At the same time, Ricky had been walking through the door of one of the nearby classrooms, making it three young kids standing around in the hallway.  He raised his head upon hearing Megara's shoulders hit the metal, his eyebrows furrowing.  Ricky came to a halt, his sneakers scuffing the floor.  

     Megara turned to her left, a look of distress and worry on her pretty face.  She felt embarrassed times two, now that he saw how pathetic she looked.  She blinked, not bothering to hide the hurt in her eyes.  "Hey," Ricky approached the two.  "What's going on?"

     "Nothing that concerns you," Amelia replied quickly.

     He stood still for a moment, watching the girl intently as if he were choosing his words wisely.  "You should leave her alone."

     Megara's face softened for a brief moment.  "It's okay, Rick.  I can handle this," she then clenched her jaw.  It took him a good moment to realize she wasn't joking, telling Ricky to get out of there, leave her alone so Amelia could do her worst, and hope he wouldn't go around telling people about the incident.