010 ⎯⎯ You're The Missing Piece

— act one, scene ten: you're the missing piece

act one, scene ten: you're the missing piece

༺♥༻

     Ricky had sworn that he had never heard a voice like this before... except that would be a total lie.  He had, and he had been crazy enough to believe that it had belonged to someone talented and beautiful.  Which would have taken Megara out of the equation for him almost completely, on the account that from time to time he could agree that she was decent looking.

     About a year ago, Ricky had forgotten his skateboard inside the school and got sidetracked by a voice singing.  It had taken him a while (plus some googling of the lyrics) to remember what the song was; I Won't Say I'm In Love from the movie Hercules.

     He thought of Meg not because of the comparison in voice — as far as he knew, Meg was a horrible singer.  But he knew Hercules was one of her favorite movies.  Obviously.  Her dad literally picked that name from it.

     The animation, the colors, the dream.  He didn't know much about her anymore, but he didn't have to because anyone could see her tough exterior was a front.  Or at least, he noticed.

     Megara was there because she ran away from home that week, in a protest from her parents, and decided to use the school showers that morning.  No, she wasn't showering when Ricky heard her, she was just doodling in the theatre room afterwards.  No one used it anyway.

     And for the most part, she was undetected.  In a perfect divine intervention, the air conditioning had kicked on, sending her paper flying to the floor.  When Megara ducked down to get it, Ricky had poked his head inside the room and saw not a trance of any person.  "Hello?" he asked out loud, just in case he was missing something.

     Megara, upon hearing someone else, froze in her tracks and stayed quiet.  Only a couple of stray strands from her hair moved gently in front of her eyes as she placed her palms flat against the paper, flat against the floor of the stage.  Looking back, it was so childish, but it was important to her that no one could have guessed Megara liked to sing.  She never in her wildest dreams would have thought Ricky of all people would have taken to her voice.

     A year later, with a role in the winter musical, Megara was sitting on the same bench for the same piano she previously hid behind, singing her little heart out.

     "Maybe I should turn around and take the other road, or maybe I'm just looking for what I already know?  I'm just wondering..."

     And with those lyrics, Ricky Bowen was shot down like a bird in the sky.

     When the song came to an end, Ashlyn and Megara sat back with a sigh.  Almost immediately did they start giggling.  "Ash, this is going to sound so amazing when we perform it live."

     "You really think?" Ashlyn asked with an infectious smile.

     Megara nodded as she stood up and smoothed out her sweatshirt.  As Ashlyn began collecting her sheets, Megara tapped her fingernails against the top of the piano.  "I'm suddenly feeling a whole lot better about this play."